Any successful online business is simply not possible without taking into account web traffic. All your actions should be aimed first at attracting as many visitors as you can. Quality products, discounts and special offers, and even eye catching design are simply worthless if no one actually sees them.
If you try to get more information about sources of traffic, you will definitely see numerous paid offers. They usually include traffic exchange, paid links, email listings and even spam. You can use these methods, but most probably they will "eat up" your budget pretty fast. Free traffic from search engines has always been #1 source.
Here are some tips that can help you to get more traffic.
1. Make your website "search engine friendly" and try to get higher rank. Pay extra attention to Google. This search engine is by far the most popular today, so if you're succeed with Google, you'll succeed with other search engines too. Learn about Google PageRank and requirements for websites. Optimized websites are usually ranked higher and so they get better places in search results, thus getting more traffic.
2. Select right keywords. Create two groups of keywords and select those that require more efforts. For example, you play good golf and want to share your knowledge with your visitors. You can use phrases like "how to putt", "better golf swing" or "improve your hook", but there's little chance your keywords will be rated high in this case. Try to select something more general like "golf tips" or "free golf advices". It's better to find phrases that suit your website in general, not just some sections or separate articles.
3. Your domain name should reflect website thematic and contain your keywords. Beginners usually want to use some cute or smart phrases, their nicknames or other stuff as domain names. This is a wrong approach as in this case your domain name will generate no traffic. When someone writes a search query the very first thing Google makes is matching domain names to that query. You can easily prove this - just try something like "travel tips".
4. Page titles are best places to put keywords. Make sure your index page contains phrases that suit your blog in general. Then add specific keywords to your subsequent pages. When adding keywords to title you should not add everything. Try to make your title look natural; they also should reflect page's main idea. All titles for all pages should be different. This is very important, because if your pages have the same title, there's little chance to be displayed by search engine on good position.
5. When you create pages, do not use names that have nothing similar with your keywords. For our golf tips website pages like golftips1.html, golftips2.html are really bad examples. Google searches for unique content, so give it! Visit a service like Google Blogger and you will notice post titles are automatically generated as URLs. Do the same - include your keywords to title and then make this title the name for this page.
Taobao - TaobaoUkr.com
6. One small detail that can really create miracles. Heading tags are very important for search owners do not pay much attention to this, but adding right tags is really very helpful. Once again, you can see how this is done at Google Blogger. When you create page title, put it into <h1> tag and use <h2> tags all over the text when you see keywords.
7. Check all pages of your website and optimize them according to mentioned settings. I bet this will improve your website position and help to gain more traffic.