Who remembers Altavista ?

Started by bigzee, 05-02-2010, 04:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

bigzeeTopic starter

Back in the late 90's both yahoo and altavista were one of the top search players  :))

Yahoo's still there but what happened to altavista. They dissappeared just like netscape dissappeared on the browser scene!
  •  

Alex

I remember.
It still has good alexa, but I think that there is no sense to get this SE seriously now days.
  •  

truffleshuffle

Yeah I remember altavista, I think they got purchased by Babel translator. I actually really liked their original site and search abilities but like most search engines it's in the junkyard now. Google, MSN, Yahoo pretty much run things.
  •  

TomN

I remember hearing of it but I've never used it, it's a weird industry search engines..The large 3 keep getting bigger and the smaller search engines seem to die out.
  •  

seo-guy

I do not keep in mind Altavista yet being that well-liked amongst the masses. From what I can remember, it's main assert was that it found many number of sites. Now, their results that arrived from user keywords were any improved than others is arguable.

Yahoo is almost certainly the site whose search-engine should have been making better today. A Lot of people utilized their tool back in these days.

lora93

altavista was and still a good search engine and yahoo also. however these are old and top in the list of search engine list in 90's. msn was also good.

salty143

Almost all of us know about altavista and have used it. But our next generation will only read about it in the books or listen from us.

seolinkcreation

I Alta vista, I think they've bought into Babel was remember. In fact, their original sites and I really like the ability to search, but like most search engines now I'm at the junkyard. Google, MSN, Yahoo will run a little things.

pablohunt2812

As the colors were posted in the Altavista Area YMCA gym Monday morning, many in the crowd saluted. Others placed their hands over their hearts.

The Memorial Day service, which began inside and concluded outside with placement of a wreath, a rifle salute and Taps, was a time for remembrance and appreciation of those who had given their lives for freedom. It was also a time for patriotism.

About 150 people attended the service, which was organized by Altavista's Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4165 and American Legion Memorial Post 36.

The crowd sang with 5-year-old Jade Maria Shelton as she led the national anthem; they pledged to the flag as Lillie Mae Nichols of the Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary led; they heard Guy Tuck read the names of more than 50 fallen comrades; they watched as the flags of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard were paraded around the gym while the Staunton River Boys sang a verse from each branch's hymn.

Altavista Mayor Mike Mattox said the men and women who serve in America's military come from all walks of life, but they share several characteristics. He named courage, pride, determination, selflessness and dedication to the country.

Mattox noted two heroes from Altavista – Army Staff Sgt. Christopher Walker and Marine Staff Sgt. Greg Copes. Walker was injured in April 2012 while serving in Afghanistan. Copes was killed last August while serving in Afghanistan.

The mayor asked audience members to keep their families in their thoughts and prayers.

Rep. Robert Hurt, the event's guest speaker, also called attention to Walker and Copes.

Hurt, the 5th District congressman from Chatham, said Walker saved lives "because he was willing to dig around in the dirt and disable the horrendous weapons." Walker is recovering from his injuries at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

Hurt told the crowd Copes went to serve because of Sept. 11.

"His nation called and instead of sitting there and letting someone else go, he said, 'I'll go.'"

Copes is buried in the Mount Hermon United Methodist Church Cemetery. Two family members were at Monday's service.

Speaking about the 5th District, which takes in 24 cities and counties from the North Carolina line to Fauquier County, Hurt said America's military members come from all over the country, including places like Altavista.

Hurt said on Memorial Day, he thinks of the nation's military men and women who go through the "worst hell" so the citizens back home don't have to, so they can continue to live on Main Street and be protected.

"I'm just so grateful for their service," Hurt said.

He asked what drives them to go into harm's way for people they don't know? His answer was, "They want to preserve the beauty and peace we have, the freedom to pursue happiness, ... the freedom to worship and say what we want."

He thanked the audience for remembering and keeping their spirit alive. He thanked the VFW and Legion posts for continuing to provide the opportunity to celebrate and remember America's veterans.

Outside, as the service drew to a close, the wreath with red carnations was placed at the memorial shrine under the American and Virginia flags flying at half-mast. Each of the seven men in the joint VFW-American Legion honor guard fired three shots. Veteran Paul Brooks played Taps.

The VFW and American Legion annually organize services on Memorial Day and Veterans Day

addisoncave

yes, i know AltaVista was a web search engine established in 1995. It became one of the most used early search engines, but lost ground to Google and was purchased by Yahoo! in 2003, which retained the brand but based all AltaVista searches on its own search engine.
lathe machine [nofollow] | drilling machine [nofollow] |
  •