Random home page content

Started by Walalayo, 09-06-2011, 03:46:02

Previous topic - Next topic

WalalayoTopic starter

I have the home page of one of my sites set to randomly display any one of several main body text using a random include script (the menu & structure stays the same but the body text changes). Each version has a different "teaser" of several paragraphs that links to content deeper in the site. I set it up this way so visitors would see something new most times they visit the site and be introduced to content they might not have looked at through the menu links.

How will this affect search engines? Will they not care, or treat it just like any other content that changes occasionally? Or will they be able to see it is an automated changes and penalize the site?

amardeep

I don't think its a good idea to show random home page text using script. Some time its pretty hard for search engines to identify your piece of content you want to rank for as you are changing you content randomly. Search engines might have indexed some other content on your home page but next time crawler came to your website and discover some other content, there would be something new for search engines every time they come to your website. Doesn't it look untruthful, inconsistent or as you mentioned you are using script to show these random texts, might be the case search engines are not seeing your content. Have you check your content is being indexed or not?
Web design Company [nofollow] India
Website Designing Company - TIS India [nofollow]
  •  

harrywood

A home page or a start page is the initial or main web page of a website or a browser. The majority of websites have a home page with underlying content pages, Main page · Contents · Featured content · Current events · Random article

Search engines like Google have become sophisticated in understanding website content and detecting automated changes. While it's not possible to predict with certainty how search engines will react to your specific implementation, there are a few general considerations to keep in mind:

1. Freshness and relevance: Regularly updated content can be viewed positively by search engines, as it indicates an active and engaging website. However, the value of fresh content depends on its relevance, quality, and usefulness to visitors.

2. Duplicate content: If the main body text is the only element that changes while the rest of the page remains the same, search engines may consider it as duplicate content. Overusing duplicate content can potentially lead to lower rankings or penalties.

3. User experience: Providing a unique and tailored user experience is essential for both visitors and search engines. Make sure the random content selections enhance user engagement and encourage them to explore your site further.

To optimize for search engines, consider these steps:

a. Ensure diverse and high-quality content: Use unique, well-written content for each version to avoid issues related to duplicate content.

b. Optimize metadata: Ensure that metadata such as title tags and meta descriptions accurately reflect the content on each version of the page.

c. Monitor performance: Keep an eye on your site's performance in search results, and if you notice any negative impact, consider alternative approaches.

Ultimately, striking a balance between providing fresh content and maintaining a coherent structure is key. It's always a good idea to stay up-to-date with SEO best practices and closely monitor how search engines respond to your site.

supergolfer

I would like to be able to have a random page load when visitors go to my website. Since it automatically looks for index.htm, i'm assuming that I would have to make index.htm have an auto redirect to the actual homepage, but how can I make it choose between 3-4 different pages to redirect to?.

ifixservices

If you are using an advert blocker, the graphical asset might be blocked from being downloaded and displayed, but the underlying HTML element with a click listener might still be active, so when you click the link is activated
The website admins are douchebags hoping you would accidentally click the whitespace. Now they just made another 40 cents and you had to close a window