What do you know about Google Dance?

Started by abcdf, 10-11-2011, 04:10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

abcdfTopic starter

Hello friends,

Nowadays, the world is getting hooked on the Internet. Here lies the significance of online search engines. I tried to rank my website better in major search engines including Google. He had done a great job. I appreciate him. But last week, when I checked out the ranking of my website, I was shocked. It was showing a great fluctuation. The worst part is that the PR of my site has gone down. Why did it happen? I am completely clueless. Is it something related to Google dance?

RoyJones

Google Dance is refer to the fluctuations of keywords ranking in Search engine result pages. This can be seen when Google do major changes in site rankings.

PaulShipman

In search engine optimization (SEO),  Google Dance is an out-dated slang term used to describe the period of time in which Google used to rebuild its rankings, and as a result of this rebuilding, rankings of Web sites on Google's SERP may fluctuate in order during several day periods. The "Google Dance" would happen anywhere up to 36 times per year, however in 2003 Google begun updating its index on a weekly basis, which all but eliminated the Google Dance.

andrewskyler

The Google Dance took its name from how the results at Google seemed to "dance" around when it unleashed a new search algorithm — Google's recipe for ranking web pages — on the world

Antonio94

Well google dance isn't all bad, it's normally just a testing method to see how good a site is. If you're confident in your SEO progress then it will back to normal after few days. If it won't return to normal rank then there must be something wrong with your SEO progress.
Another case would be a site suddenly has high rank, this is another dance case and so it isn't necessary good.

RH-Calvin

Google dance is a term used to define the changing keyword position when Google updates its ranking page. They keyword positions fluctuate before they are stable on the search engine ranking page.

admissioninfo123

The Dance refer to the variation of keywords ranking in Search engine result pages. This can be seen when Google do major changes in site rankings.

neelseofast

Google Dance is an out-dated slang term used to describe the period of time in which Google used to rebuild its rankings, and as a result of this rebuilding, rankings of Web sites on Google's SERP may fluctuate in order during a several day period.

graceluke

How Often Does The Google Dance Happen?

The name "Google Dance" was in the past used to describe the period that a major index update of the Google search engine are being implemented. These major Google index update occured on average every 36 days or 10 times per year. It was easiest be identified by significant changes in search results, and by an updating of Google's cache of all indexed pages. These changes would be evident from one minute to the next. But the update did not proceed as a switch from one index to another like the flip of a switch. In fact, it took several days to finish the complete update of the index.

Because Google, like every other search engine, depends on their customers knowing that they deliver authoritative reliable results 24 hours of the day, seven days a week, updates pose a serious issue. They can not shut down for maintenance and they cannot afford to go offline for even one minute. Hence, we had the Dance. Every search engine goes through it, some more or less often than Google. However, it is only because of Google's reach that we pay attention to its rebuild more than that of any other engine.

Since August 2003, the famous / infamous Google Dance is no more. Or rather it has become less dramatic. Google now performs updates every week, with most movement occuring on Mondays. These ongoing updates feature mostly minor algorithm and index updates.

So, during any month there will be minor changes in rankings. This is because Google's bot or spider is always running and finding new material. It also happens because the bot may have detected that a website no longer exists, and needs to be deleted from the index. During the Dance, the Googlebot will revisit every website, figure out how many sites link to it, and how many it links out to, and how valuable these links are.

Because Google is constantly crawling and updated selected pages, their search results will vary slightly over the course of the month. However, it is only during the Google Dance that these results can swing wildly. You also need to consider that Google has multiple data centers, sharing more than 10,000 servers. Somehow, the updates to the index that occur during the month, and outside of the Google Dance have to get transferred throughout. It's a constant process for Google, and every other search engine. These ongoing, incremental updates only affect parts of the index at any one time.
Importance Of The Google Dance

For most people, this event in and of itself was not important. However for anyone in the search engine optimization industry it was a period of note. Pages got temporarily dropped. Sometimes it lasted a day. People panicked. Then they are re-added, and they are better placed than before, and things calmed down. It's interesting to see how overpoweringly important this one engine is. For more information on about this search engine, or any other, please read our sections on The Search Engines.

ContentHeat

The term "Google Dance" is an old-fashioned definition for the period of Google index update. This update occurred inconstantly and in fluctuation, hence the name.
  •