Client wants me to "redirect" multiple urls to the same page? Bad? Good?

Started by bearcatsandor, 01-21-2016, 15:28:43

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatsandorTopic starter

I have a client that bought about 10 urls for their business. Their current url is peppersprayandstunguns.com which describes their business well.  They want me to point their other urls to that site as well. These urls are things like personaldefenseproductsllc.com, personalprotection.com, stunguns4u.com. protectyourself.com, etc. Note,. i don't have this list in front of me but they are similar to that.  The url will not be re-written. That is to say that when someone goes to protectyourself.com they will still end up at peppersprayandstunguns.com

If i point these extra urls at peppersprayandstunguns.com will that be considered duplicate content? I know people were doing this 5 years ago, but wouldn't google be wise to this practice by now? Won't this hurt them?

If it's alright to do, should i do it with 301 redirects (seems against the purpose of that) or with dns?

I've been reading up on this all morning and have found differing opinions, and none of them quite cover this issue.

Thanks.
  •  

damponting44

Redirecting multiple URLs to a single website can indeed raise concerns about duplicate content. While it's true that this practice was more common in the past, search engines like Google have become more sophisticated in identifying such tactics.

Redirecting these additional URLs to peppersprayandstunguns.com without modifying the URL itself may be considered duplicate content by search engines. This could potentially negatively impact their rankings in search results.

If you still want to redirect the URLs, it is generally recommended to use 301 redirects. These redirects notify search engines that the content has permanently moved to the new URL. However, keep in mind that using 301 redirects for multiple URLs might not be the best choice, as it can create confusion and dilute the authority of the main URL.

Alternatively, you could consider setting up individual landing pages for each URL that provide unique content related to the specific domain. This way, you can avoid the issue of duplicate content.

Redirecting multiple URLs to a single website can have pros and cons. On the positive side, it can help consolidate the online presence of a business and prevent competitors from using similar domain names. It also ensures that all the URLs are pointing to the main website, which can be beneficial from a branding and user experience perspective.

However, there are several potential drawbacks to consider. As mentioned before, search engines have become more adept at identifying duplicate content. If they perceive the redirected URLs as duplicate content, it can lead to lower search engine rankings for the main website. This, in turn, could negatively impact organic traffic and visibility.

Additionally, redirecting multiple URLs may dilute the authority and relevance of the main website. Each domain may have its own unique keywords, relevance, and niche, and redirecting them all to a single website might not effectively capture these nuances.

additional factors to consider when redirecting multiple URLs to a single website:

1. User Experience: Redirecting multiple URLs can streamline the user experience by ensuring that all domains lead to the same content. This can reduce confusion and improve usability, especially if the URLs are related or represent variations of the same brand.

2. Branding Consistency: Consolidating multiple URLs to a single website can help establish a consistent brand identity across different domains. This can enhance brand recognition and reinforce brand messaging.

3. Marketing and Advertising: If your client plans to promote their business through various marketing channels (such as print ads, social media, or offline campaigns), redirecting multiple URLs can simplify tracking and measurement. All traffic will be directed to a single website, making it easier to gauge the effectiveness of marketing efforts.

4. Backlinks and SEO: If the additional URLs have existing backlinks pointing to them, performing 301 redirects can help transfer some of the link authority to the main website. However, keep in mind that not all link value will pass through redirection, and it's essential to implement redirects properly to avoid any negative impacts on search engine rankings.

5. Unique Content: As mentioned earlier, creating unique landing pages for each domain can mitigate the risks of duplicate content. By offering specific and relevant content on each URL, you can cater to diverse target audiences and potentially boost search engine visibility.

I have a client that bought about 10 urls for their business. Their current url is peppersprayandstunguns.com which describes their business well. They want me to point their other urls to that site as well. These urls are things like personaldefenseproductsllc.com, personalprotection.com, stunguns4u.com. protectyourself.com, etc. Note, i don't have this list in front of me but they are similar to that. The url will not be re-written.

wjack3047

A redirect occurs when typing a web address in the address bar sends a visitor to another website, different from the one typed in. For example, if you moved your website content to a new URL, you can direct your seasonal visitors (who may remember your old web address better than your new one) to your new location, using a redirect.

bearcatsandorTopic starter

Quote from: damponting44 on 01-22-2018, 23:29:29
I have a client that bought about 10 urls for their business. Their current url is peppersprayandstunguns.com which describes their business well. They want me to point their other urls to that site as well. These urls are things like personaldefenseproductsllc.com, personalprotection.com, stunguns4u.com. protectyourself.com, etc. Note, i don't have this list in front of me but they are similar to that. The url will not be re-written.
See? Duplicate content. That's what i'm concerned about. :P

@wjack3047  redirect is the incorrect term. I meant direct. In other words, multiple urls all going to the same place.  Is this something that is likely to affect their ratings?
  •  

transcendtorontoseo

I am not sure how the duplicate content will be affected unless the other websites have parts or entire paragraphs with the same words. I would assume that when you 301 redirect a website, all of its link juice and context goes to the link being redirected too. Therefore, Is the website in question broad enough to handle all that specific niche link juice or are you pigeonholing yourself into a niche. From what I understand if the product they are selling is self-defence products and the urls being redirected are about self-defense, then the domain getting the redirects only gets more power and relevance from that.
Seek Clarity. Do the work. http://transcendtorontoseo.com
  •