Once we start SEO, how long will it take to get rankings?

Started by Fermina Oropeza, 02-24-2017, 09:58:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Fermina OropezaTopic starter

Our company is considering SEO, but we have some questions about the hows and whys of this digital technology. It would be great if you could help me with the following questions:

1.   How much does SEO cost?
2.   Once we start SEO, how long will it take to get rankings?
3.   How long will it take to see increases in traffic?

Thank you in advance!
  •  

RH-Calvin

Replying to your questions below:

1. SEO costs can be zero if you have the time to work for your website.
2. It usually depends on the type of backlinks your build for your domain. Building backlinks from high authority relevant webpages help to rank keywords faster in Google.
3. Traffic increase can be seen by extensive link building from relevant domains and also by social media promotion.

wellliving

Month 1 - Research and discovery, website audit, keyword strategy, and planning. If research and discovery can be done quickly, then technical changes may start being made to the website within the first month. In other cases a thorough research and discovery phase can last more than one month.
Month 2 - Begin technical SEO work, that is, making modification to the website based on site audit results. In some cases the website needs to be overhauled, and this of itself can take months. Other SEO activities such as working on the link profile and building content can be done at the same time the overhaul is happening. If you find yourself in this overhaul situation, you'll be doing "SEO" but you still won't be seeing any results at all, since the changes being made will only start to have an impact once they're finished.
Month 3 - Start focusing on content creation. Blogging, FAQs, whitepapers, articles, expanded product and company information, etc. Ideally you would have started on this right after the strategy and planning, but often budgets restrict what can be done at once, and so a technical overhaul needs to come first. This being the case, you might start seeing some improvements in rankings by the end of this month. If those rankings are translating into leads or sales then even better, but you wouldn't necessarily expect them yet.
Month 4 - Continued content creation, technical optimization of the website, and development of a healthy link profile (which may include cleaning up low quality links). By this month you could expect to see a marked increase in rankings, traffic, and lead generation. It won't be anywhere close to the improvements you should 12 months into your SEO efforts, but it should be significant enough that you know SEO is working.
Month 5 - By this month or perhaps earlier in the process you may have started incorporating social media management into your plan to amplify your content and increase direct traffic to your website. This can lead to a healthy, natural link profile, and of course generate leads in and of itself. You would continue with content creation and perhaps engage in some PR or media outreach. You should be seeing more and more traffic coming in from SEO at this point, and your leads should be growing as a result.
Month 6 - If your traffic has reached 5,000 visitors per month or more by this point, you could benefit from adding conversion rate optimization to your efforts to improve how the traffic you're receiving converts into leads and/or sales. From this point on, your activities may be consistently focused on content creation and promoting that content, or you may be doing things that are more creative. The specific activities can vary greatly depending on what type of company you are and what kind of website you have.

miaedwards

Once you start setting your SEO campaign it will take at least 3 to 6 months for getting your website highlighted in the SERPs. But the entire thing depends upon the activity which is carried out during these months. If the activities are performed properly then you may get the result earlier, but it will take more time if you miss some pointers.

itsjohnthronton

It takes months to rank a keyword and it takes more time for newly created websites to rank as compared to the websites that are 2 years or more than 2 years old.

You can read this blog post by Ahrefs: https://ahrefs.com/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-rank/ to know the average time it takes for different websites to rank to first page of Google.

Fermina OropezaTopic starter

I got it now! So, most often than not, being on top (SERP) depends on your hard work and great knowledge. Anyway, some people also told me that they spent less than 6 months in the making to reach their target. I salute them for their achievements, and I am wishing we can do the same.

Being said that, do you think hiring providers such Demandwave can help fasten achieve your goals? Thanks in advance!

•  

itsjohnthronton

Quote from: Fermina Oropeza on 03-08-2017, 10:32:13
I got it now! So, most often than not, being on top (SERP) depends on your hard work and great knowledge. Anyway, some people also told me that they spent less than 6 months in the making to reach their target. I salute them for their achievements, and I am wishing we can do the same.

Being said that, do you think hiring providers such Demandwave can help fasten achieve your goals? Thanks in advance!

Those who make it before 6 months, are exceptional cases and probably there competition is too less.

sharmaroshni

"It takes time." There are many benefits of SEO, but the most important one in my side is traffic that converts. As your rankings increase to meaningful positions in search engine results pages, you'll gain more traffic for your site, which means more brand visibility and sales.

mandylopez

As others have mentioned, that depends on a lot of factors.

The ones that come to mind: website age, amount of content, amount of backlinks, available resources, the degree to which you are open to SEO and willing to double down on it, the skill level of the SEO expert etc.

I've done SEO on 250+ websites, what I generally see:

0–3 months: you see traffic picking up. You're starting to rank for long tail keywords
4–6 months: traffic keeps growing. Things are looking good.
6–12 months: things are getting interesting, the SEO expert knows his stuff. Where would I be without him/here?!
12 - 24 months: continue optimizing and building a better, larger website.
24–36 months: for markets with low/medium competitive you can already be well on your way to dominate the market, or it'll happen now.
As you see, doing SEO is playing the long game. A lot of blood, sweat and tears later you'll see that all of the hard work has paid off. Your rankings are rock solid and when you run out of Google AdWords budget....you're still getting loads of traffic.
  •  

deekumar0203

It can take everything from some 2 weeks to a whole year to rank well. This depends on how important your website is regarded by Google. If your website contains some very unique material which would also draw subnstantial interest, it will get some reputation fairly quickly, and this may boost its ranking. You can help by requesting backlinks from the owners of sites who may be interested in your content, but please don't overdo it 'cause otherwise this might be regarded as unnatural link profile development.

After the Googlebot has discovered your website, it will be put into a "sandbox" and get very limited rankings. This is how Google protects itself from fake websites established for SEO purposes only. Your goal in the first place is to get your site out of this sandbox.