Google Duplicate Content

Started by DiscGolfShopping, 09-15-2017, 14:24:56

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscGolfShoppingTopic starter

Hello so I have a question/concern. I have made a website and i'll use the example of an "Innova Katana disc". There are different variations to this disc that are different prices. Because of this I made seperate pages for them.

Example:
Innova Star Katana
Innova DX Katana

So when I google "Innova Katana Disc Golf" I find my result 3 pages back in google as a "Pro" disc. If I search "Innova Katana DX Disc" I show up the first result on the 2nd page.

My question is.....should I be using "rel-canonical" on my products that are really similar? Or will this no longer show my high rankings when people type in that specific plastic? "DX"

I'm not even sure what rel-canonical does, but I googled it and from what I can tell is it tells google the pages have duplicate content?

Any answer will be helpful!

Thanks

Ken
  •  

Sagarika

You are doing some basic mistake. May share both the URLs to have a look.

RH-Calvin

Quote from: DiscGolfShopping on 09-15-2017, 14:24:56I'm not even sure what rel-canonical does, but I googled it and from what I can tell is it tells google the pages have duplicate content?

The rel=canonical element, often called the "canonical link", is an HTML element that helps webmasters prevent duplicate content issues. It does this by specifying the "canonical URL", the "preferred" version of a web page. Using it well improves a site's SEO.

berto

Declaring the canonical url of your preferred version of the site page tells the search engine that this is the page that you want to index in the SERP despite of the similar content issues.
  •  

kaliya

Quote from: DiscGolfShopping on 09-15-2017, 14:24:56
Hello so I have a question/concern. I have made a website and i'll use the example of an "Innova Katana disc". There are different variations to this disc that are different prices. Because of this I made seperate pages for them.

Example:
Innova Star Katana
Innova DX Katana

So when I google "Innova Katana Disc Golf" I find my result 3 pages back in google as a "Pro" disc. If I search "Innova Katana DX Disc" I show up the first result on the 2nd page.

My question is.....should I be using "rel-canonical" on my products that are really similar? Or will this no longer show my high rankings when people type in that specific plastic? "DX"

I'm not even sure what rel-canonical does, but I googled it and from what I can tell is it tells google the pages have duplicate content?

Any answer will be helpful!

Thanks

Ken

You should use rel=canonical for similar pages, when product are same. But if products are different you shouldn't use canonical tag.
  •