How canonical tag work on duplicate content

Started by PaulShipman, 03-15-2018, 03:59:23

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulShipmanTopic starter

We have one blog which is trending and we forgot to put canonical to that blog.

However, our competitor grabs that opportunity and copied our blog and have added the canonical tag to his blogpost.

So, how can I deal with this should google consider my blog as duplicate content or should we also put the canonical tag.

Please suggest

mvminfotech

If you have a single page accessible by multiple URLs, or different pages with similar content (for example, a page with both a mobile and a desktop version), Google sees these as duplicate versions of the same page. Google will choose one URL as the canonical version and crawl that, and all other URLs will be considered duplicate URLs and crawled less often.

damponting44

Sometimes you don't want to or can't get rid of a duplicate version of an article, even when you do know that it's the wrong URL. For that particular issue, the search engines have introduced the canonical link element. It's placed in the <head> section of your site, and it looks like this:

&lt;link rel="canonical" href="http://example.com/wordpress/seo-plugin/"&gt;

In the href section of the canonical link, you place the correct canonical URL for your article. When a search engine that supports canonical finds this link element, it performs what is a soft 301 redirect. It transfers most of the link value gathered by that page to your canonical page.

This process is a bit slower than the 301 redirect though, so if you can do a 301 redirect that would be preferable

Yuga

A canonical tag is a signal in a web page which simply says: "I'm a copy of this other web page which can be found over there..." This HTML element is added into the code of a page and helps prevent duplicate content issues by telling Google and other search engines the preferred version of a page