How to get into Google's Tops Stories?

Started by racenet1234, 04-03-2019, 20:16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

racenet1234Topic starter

Hi All,

I have been doing research for a few weeks and I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot get my website (Racenet) into the top stories in Google.

We are in Google News, have "news article" schema, have AMP pages. Our news articles also perform quite well organically and we typically dominate the Google News section.

We have two main competitors (Punters and Just Horse Racing) who are both in top stories and I cannot find anything that we are doing that they aren't.

Apparently the AMP "news article" schema is incorrect and that could be the reason why we aren't showing up in Google Top Stories, but I can't find anything wrong with the schema and it looks the same as our competitors. For example: https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/u/0/#url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.racenet.com.au%2Fnews%2Fblake-shinn-booked-to-ride-doncaster-handicap-favourite-alizee-20190331%3FisAmp%3D1

Does anyone have any ideas of why I cannot get my site into Google Top Stories? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)
  •  

amayajace

A Deeper Look at Google Top Stories. Top Stories – like the News box before them – generally appear as the result of search query about current news, and are composed of what Google deems the most relevant articles on the topic.

ORLOVA

First and foremost, you need to make sure that your stories are original. A major search engine like Google doesn't want to syndicate the same piece of content verbatim and it's search algorithm will pull you up. You've got to make your story original with accurate data points from credible sources. Wherever you got your information from, whether it's trawling through search history, sitemap files, or exploring web pages – make sure your sources are trustworthy.

Saiastrologer

This would appear when a major event or person was searched for, right at the top of the SERP. Generally, it showed a small thumbnail image, headline and short excerpt, as well as related headlines from other sources listed below.

The stories featured in this box were pulled directly from Google News, which only includes sites that have been submitted, reviewed and approved directly by Google.
  •  

richtedy

Top Stories – like the News box before them – generally appear as the result of search query about current news, and are composed of what Google deems the most relevant articles on the topic.

John - Smith

Have you implemented google news stories schema?

kavyasharma561

At the age of having millions of subscribers and followers on a single page, we cannot neglect the significance of marketing e-commerce business. Unless your content is as famous as any of Apple's launch event, there will be times when you have to pay some cost to boost your online business. It can be in various ways either you pay it on the basis of 'per click' or the keywords that relate the most to your content. As the market demands business to be active online, giving a hike to your e-commerce business with paid promotions is not a bad idea.

infinitywebsoln

Hello, you can consider these thing so that you can be in the Google top story just like your competitors.
-Don't copy from other sites. Write original news articles.
-Write keyword-rich headlines that communicate the story topics.
-Write news-related articles, not evergreen content.
-Write at least 2 news articles each day.
-Establish authority with your blog.
Don't be too quick to do this. You first need to create a path, on your blog, that a Google News bot or spider can follow to crawl your fresh stories as they're published.
  •  

brookeroberts7

Don't copy from other sites. Write original news articles. ...
Write keyword-rich headlines that communicate the story topics. ...
Write news-related articles, not evergreen content. ...
Write at least 2 news articles each day. ...
Establish authority with your blog.