I have found a couple of link directory from buddypress.com (BuddyPress Groups Directory Extras / Buddy Press Links) and directorypress.com
What I am looking for:
The ability to have the links something like:
Links: www.example.com/links/business-name (or maybe www.example.com/directory/links/business-name) - whichever is better for SEO.
- Title - Only uppercase letters in the first word - no complete uppercase (My Personal Blog - ok; MY PERSONAL BLOG - not OK
- Upload an image
- Email when new link is posted
- Registration - so the user can edit the post if needed. Also would like the ability to have the user be able to post immediately without approval (but email is still sent. Email is sent when changes are made
- Post without Registration
- Show hits today / show total hits / Average Hits
- Last Updated
- I am not charging for the service, but would like the ability to say "sponsor" so it the links will show at the top.
- Maybe in the Admin section, also see what IP was used, ability to see stats on IP - this might need to be coded
- Which is better to use addthis / sharethis ?
- When someone choose to share, either directory / link - the URL shortener is used
A couple of others
- Perhaps when you go to the directory, you see a mini description - then when you drill down to the link, you see the complete listing. I guess this would be easier to accomplish if there are two fields for the user to post - a mini description (www.example.com/directory/directory-name) and a complete description (when you are on www.example.com/links/business-name)
- Image is seen on both
I would also like to maybe incorporate the hashtag - so it is possible when they tweet, the default is set up something like: Blog http:ex.com/d1 #example ? And for the link Example Company http://ex.com/l1 #example
The links would need to be approved - so when someone submits a link, an email is sent to me. Another thought, if the person proves not to be a spammer, maybe allowed to sign in to enter the links - but I would still like to get the email.
I have a smaller domain name that I would like to be used for the URL shortener - so maybe when they Tweet, Share, etc. I am thinking that it would be something like:
ex.com/d1 (where d is the directory and 1 is the directory record number in the database) - so if the first directory is blog
ex.com/l1 (where l is the link and 1 is the link record number in the database for the links
I have found yourls, one from Google, and a couple from Wordpress. I don't know which one might be the best and which ones that I can control. Hopefully you can recommend one and when a new directory / link is created, this database will be created as well. No one else will have access to this.
By the way - I also saw Send on this forum - I am assuming that can be added as well?
So to recap - what would be the best directory for SEO / Social media with the above features? And what else to recommend to help. The directory has been around for about four years but I need to get it updated.