From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
"-zilla" is an English suffix, a back-formation derived from the Japanese movie character Godzilla. It is popular for the names of software and websites.
This trend has been observed since the popularization of the Mozilla Project, which itself included the Internet Relay Chat client ChatZilla.
The use of the suffix was contested by Toho, owners of the trademark Godzilla, in a lawsuit against the website Davezilla and also against Sears for their mark Bagzilla.
List of -zillas
- Mozilla, a group of Internet-related programs created by the Mozilla Foundation, also name of the group's widely-known web browser
- FileZilla, an FTP program
- FeedZilla, a free RSS News Feed aggregator service
- Go!Zilla, a download manager program
- Shopzilla, a comparison-shopping search engine, formerly BizRate.com
- Quizilla, an online personality quiz website, which contains its own "Zillapedia"
- Podzilla, an open source user interface for the IPodLinux project, which allows for alternative functionality of Apple Computer's iPod
- Chipzilla, a humorous epithet for the Intel Corporation
- Davezilla, a humor website