|| This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2009) </td>
Advantage Database Server is a relational database management system (RDBMS) for small to medium sized businesses by Sybase iAnywhere. Database author Cary Jensen describes Advantage as follows: "Advantage has been around since 1993, when it was introduced to provide a stable solution for Clipper developers who were tired of slow performance and corrupt indexes inherent to file server-based databases. Over the years, ADS has grown in both popularity and features. Advantage is now a mature product with an impressive collection of features that rival many of the more expensive and complicated database servers".
“In short, the Advantage Database Server is a high-performance, low-maintenance, remote database server that permits you to easily build and deploy client/server applications and web-based applications”.
Advantage Database Server is most popular among application developers as a client/server backend solution for shared, networked, standalone, mobile and Internet database applications. ADS is unique among other database offerings because it provides both ISAM table-based and SQL based data access.
- Replication (computer science)
- Online Backup
- ISAM access
- SQL-92 compliant
- SQL Query Optimizer
- User Defined Functions
- Stored Procedures
- Server Side Aliases
- Encrypted indexes and communications
- DBF tables and memos greater than 4 gigabytes
- Events / Notifications
- 64-bit support
- Full Text Search
- Multiple Processor support
- Small footprint
- August 1993 – Initially released as Advantage xBase server by Extended Systems.
- December 1995 – version 4.0 release, now called Advantage Database Server. This release included the first ODBC driver.
- February 1997 – Advantage Internet Server released.
- April 2000 – Advantage ODBC driver with StreamlineSQL released.
- November 2005 – Advantage Database Server: The Official Guide published.
- November 2005 – Extended Systems acquired by Sybase, rolled in to iAnywhere Solutions subsidiary.
- November 2008 – The latest version was released, Advantage Database Server 9.1.
- ↑ Cary Jensen, Ph.D.Loy Anderson, Ph.D, Advantage Database Server: A Developer's Guide, February 5, 2007, 616 pages, AuthorHouse, 978-1425-7726-9
- ↑ Cary Jensen, Ph.D.Loy Anderson, Ph.D, Advantage Database Server: A Developer's Guide, February 5, 2007, page 7, AuthorHouse, 978-1425-7726-9
- ↑ Cary Jensen, Ph.D.Loy Anderson, Ph.D, Advantage Database Server: The Official Guide, October 29, 2003, 496 pages, McGraw-Hill Osborne Media, 0-07-223084-1