From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
CDuce is an XML-oriented functional language, which extends XDuce in a few directions. It features XML regular expression types, XML regular expression patterns, XML iterators. CDuce is not strictly speaking an XML transformation language since it can be used for general-purpose programming.
Benefits of CDuce
- static verifications (e.g.: ensure that a transformation produces a valid document);
- in particular, we aim at smooth and safe compositions of XML transformations, and incremental programming;
- static optimizations and efficient execution model (knowing the type of a document is crucial to extract information efficiently).
Features particular to CDuce
- XML objects can be manipulated as first-class citizen values: elements, sequences, tags, characters and strings, attribute sets; sequences of XML elements can be specified by regular expressions, which also apply to characters strings;
- functions themselves are first-class values, they can be manipulated, stored in data structure, returned by a function,...
- a powerful pattern matching operation can perform complex extractions from sequences of XML elements;
- a rich type algebra, with recursive types and arbitrary boolean combinations (union, intersection, complement) allows precise definitions of data structures and XML types; general purpose types and types constructors are taken seriously (products, extensible records, arbitrary precision integers with interval constraints, Unicode characters);
- polymorphism through a natural notion of subtyping, and overloaded functions with dynamic dispatch;
- a highly-effective type-driven compilation schema.