From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Stable release||1.9.1 / June 24, 2009|
|Type||Learning Management System|
Claroline is a collaborative eLearning and eWorking platform (Learning Management System) released under Open Source license (GPL). It allows hundreds of organizations worldwide (universities, schools, companies, associations,...) to create and administer courses and collaboration spaces through the web. The platform is used in more than 80 countries and is available in more than 30 languages.
The Claroline platform is organized around the concept of space associated to a course or a pedagogical activity. Each course space provides a list of tools enabling the teacher to :
- Write a course description
- Publish documents in any format (text, PDF, HTML, video...)
- Administer public and private forums
(also by e-mail)
- Propose assignments to be handed in online
- See the statistics of the users activity
- Use the wiki to write collaborative document
Claroline is based on strong pedagogical principles coming from the literature on the added value of the technologies for training. Since 2000, Claroline development teams have been focusing on the code stability and the development of features in line with the user's needs. The main concern of the developers is not to build up a large number of new features, but to concentrate upon a few elaborated tools concerning the pedagogical approach and the interface offered to the users. Besides, a large worldwide community of users and developers contributes to Claroline development and diffusion extensively.
Initially started in 2000 by the UCL (Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium), Claroline has been developed following teacher's pedagogical experience and needs. Claroline is now financially supported by the Région wallonne for its development through the WIST programme.
Within this programme, Claroline associates three Belgian partners :
- The CERDECAM, Research and development centre of the ECAM, Brussels
- The LENTIC, Research centre on new technologies, innovation and change of the ULg, Liège
- The IPM, University pedagogy and multimedia institute from the UCL, Louvain-la-Neuve
The Claroline Consortium was born on May 23, 2007 during the second annual conference of Claroline users that was held at the Vigo University, Spain. This international non-profit association mainly aims at federating the Claroline community, coordinating the platform developments and promoting its use.
The 5 founder members of the Consortium are :
- Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
- Haute Ecole Léonard de Vinci, Belgium
- Universidade de Vigo, Spain
- Université du Québec à Rimouski, Canada
- Universidad Católica del Norte, Chile
- ↑ Claroline Wiki
- ↑ Claroline Worldwide page
- ↑ Credits page on Claroline.net
- ↑ Consortium page on Claroline.net