From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
ContraVirus, is a Rogue Spyware application that poses as a legitimate anti- spyware program. The application uses a false scanner to force computer users to pay for removal of non-existent spyware items. It may also be known as ExpertAntivirus
Methods of Infection
Symptoms of infection
ContraVirus has been known to display fake messages stating that your computer is infected with spyware. It may also install the files c:\WINDOWS\wincom27.dll and c:\WINDOWS\system\ext32inc.dll, in order to persuade a user to purchase the software. Traditionally a user will see Contravirus running a "scan" of their computer at which time a user will be prompted to purchase the Contravirus software to remove the threat. It may also Hijack a user's browser and install a toolbar.
Removal of Contravirus is difficult and may require assistance from qualified IT Support Personnel. However, users have had success removing the program using the SmitFraudFix.zip program, as well as well known programs Kaspersky Anti-Virus, Spybot Search & Destroy, and the Norton Family of Security products.
- ↑ http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_122056.htm#threat-minimum-engine
- ↑ http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2007-050111-3914-99&tabid=2
- ↑ http://www.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453113271
- ↑ http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070612151517AAcGLlh
- ↑ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic95405.html
|File:Malware logo.png||This malware-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|