Dynamic web page
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (May 2009)|
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. You can help. The discussion page may contain suggestions. (May 2009)|
A dynamic web page is a hypertext document rendered to a World Wide Web user presenting content that has been customized or actualized for each individual viewing or rendition or that continually updates information as the page is displayed to the user.
However, a web page can also provide a live user experience. Content (text, images, form fields, etc.) on a web page can change, in response to different contexts or conditions. There are two ways to create this kind of effect:
- Using client-side scripting to change interface behaviors within a specific web page, in response to mouse or keyboard actions or at specified timing events. In this case the dynamic behavior occurs within the presentation.
- Using server-side scripting to change the supplied page source between pages, adjusting the sequence or reload of the web pages or web content supplied to the browser. Server responses may be determined by such conditions as data in a posted HTML form, parameters in the URL, the type of browser being used, the passage of time, or a database or server state.
Web pages that use to the second method are often created with the help of server-side languages such as PHP, Perl, ASP, ASP.NET, JSP, ColdFusion and other languages. These server-side languages typically use the Common Gateway Interface (CGI) to produce dynamic web pages. These kinds of pages can also use, on the client-side, the first kind (DHTML, etc.).
Dynamic web sites
In dynamic sites page content and page layout are created separately. The content is retrieved from a database and is placed on a webpage only when needed or asked. The benefit of this is that it allows for quicker page loading and it allows just about anyone, with limited or no web design experience, to update their own website via an administrative tool. This set-up is ideal for those who wish to make frequent changes to their websites including text and image updates. Dynamic sites are also great for image galleries, online calendars or e-commerce, etc.
Client-side content generation
The innerHTML property (or write command) can illustrate the client-side dynamic page generation: two distinct pages, A and B, can be regenerated as
document.innerHTML = A and
document.innerHTML = B; or "on load dynamic" by
Server-side dynamic content is more complicated.
- The client sends the server the request.
- The server receives the request and processes the server-side script such as [PHP] based on the query string, HTTP POST data, cookies, etc.
Combined client and server content generation
Ajax is a newer web development technique for dynamically interchanging content with the server-side, without reloading the web page. Google Maps is an example of a web application that uses Ajax techniques and database.
It is difficult to be precise about "dynamic web page beginnings" or chronology, because the precise concept makes sense only after the "widespread development of web pages". Context and dates of the "web beginnings":
- HTTP protocol has been in use by the Web since 1990, HTML, as standard, since 1996.
- The web browsers explosion started with 1993's Mosaic.
For server-side dynamic pages:
- The dynamic page generation was made possible by the Common Gateway Interface, stable in 1993.
- Then Server Side Includes pointed a more direct way to deal with server-side scripts, at the web servers.
- "The Information Revolution", J. R. Okin. ISBN 0976385740. Ed. Ironbound Press, 2005. 350 pp.
- "Learning VBScript", P. Lomax. ISBN 1565922476. Ed. O'Reilly, 1997. sec. C13.ar:صفحة وب ديناميكية
ca:Pàgina web dinàmica de:Webseite#Dynamische Webseiten es:Contenido dinámico fa:صفحه وب پویا fr:Page Web dynamique it:Pagina web dinamica ku:Rûpelên web yan dînamîkî nl:Dynamische webpagina ru:Динамический сайт sk:Dynamická webová stránka th:ไดนามิกเว็บเพจ uk:Динамічна веб-сторінка