From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article needs references that appear in reliable third-party publications. Primary sources or sources affiliated with the subject are generally not sufficient for a Wikipedia article. Please add more appropriate citations from reliable sources. (November 2009)|
|Type||Public limited company|
|Industry||Search Engine |
|Products||CloudView, Exalead Desktop, Exalead On-Demand|
|Revenue||€15.5 million (2008)|
Exalead provides thumbnail previews of the target pages along with the results, and allows advanced refining on the results page (language, geographic location, file type, categories) but also further data refinement, such as rich content (audio, video, RSS) and related terms, allowing users to browse the web by serendipity. To date, Exalead is the only search engine that has announced plans to adopt the Automated Content Access Protocol.
- the prefix exa which means 1018 (as in exabyte, used as a generic term for size, to imply large coverage of pages)
- and the verb lead (as the customer is led through the search options)
Exalead tries to integrate research functions in one piece of software, combining Internet, desktop and enterprise functionality.
Exalead.com specific features
Exalead attempts to add value to search results by displaying statistics and information about the results along the left-hand side of the page. This includes categorical and geographical information. Exalead's features include:
- Proximity search supporting the NEAR operator
- Nested search expressions
- Autocompletion searches
- Faceted search
- by geographic location
- by language (54 languages recognized)
- by file type
- by DMOZ categories
- Related terms suggestions
- Phonetic search is also available, which can be used when the orthography is not known
- Search within results
- Audio, video and RSS search (in the preview also pictures)
- Search in Wikipedia
On August 2, 2006, Exalead launched the beta version of its new interface, which is the default interface since the middle of October 2006.
The index size, as of June 2009, is a over 8 billion pages, 2 billion images, and 200 million videos.