Firebird (database server)
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Stable release||2.1.3 / September 8, 2009|
|Preview release||2.5.0 RC 1 / December 26, 2009|
Firebird is an open source relational database management system that runs on GNU/Linux, Windows, and a variety of Unix platforms. The database forked from Borland's open source edition of InterBase in 2000, but since Firebird 1.5 the code has been largely rewritten .
Within a week of the InterBase 6.0 source being released by Borland on 25 July 2000, the Firebird project was created on SourceForge. Firebird 1.0 was released for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X on 11 March 2002, with ports to Solaris, FreeBSD 4, HP-UX following over the next two months.
Work on porting the codebase from C to C++ began in 2000. On 23 February 2004, Firebird 1.5 was released, which was the first stable release of the new codebase. Version 1.5 featured an improved query optimizer, SQL-92 conditional expressions, SQL:1999 savepoints and support for explicit locking. Firebird 2.0 was released on 12 November 2006, adding support for 64-bit architectures, tables nested in FROM clauses, and programmable lock timeouts in blocking transactions.
Firebird 2.5 is currently in development, with a final release scheduled for 2009. New features will include improved multithreading, regular expression syntax and the ability to query remote databases. The planned 3.0 release is expected to support stored procedures in languages such as Java and C++, and SQL window functions that restrict query results. Beta 2 was released in 11 August 2009 , with final version due before the end of 2009.
- Full support for stored procedures and triggers
- Full ACID compliant transactions
- Referential integrity
- Multi Generational Architecture (sometimes called MVCC) 
- Very small footprint 
- Support for External Functions (UDFs)
- Optional single file embedded version for creating CD-ROM catalogs, single user or evaluation versions of applications
- Third party tools, including GUI administrative tools and replication tools
- Careful writes - fast recovery, no need for transaction logs
- Many access methods: native/API, dbExpress drivers, ODBC, OLEDB, .Net provider, JDBC native type 4 driver, Python module, PHP, Perl
- Incremental backups
- Full cursor implementation in PSQL
Mozilla Firefox name clash
In April 2003, the Mozilla Foundation decided to rename their web browser from Phoenix to Firebird after a trademark dispute with Phoenix Technologies. This decision caused concern within the Firebird database project due to the assumption that users and Internet search engines would be confused by a database and a web browser both using the name Firebird. The dispute continued until the Mozilla developers issued a statement making clear that their software package was called "Mozilla Firebird", not "Firebird". The statement also said that the Mozilla Firebird name was a project codename. On February 9, 2004, Mozilla renamed its browser Mozilla Firefox, thus ending the confusion.
- 2009. SourceForge Community Choice Award: Best Project for enterprise. Finalist on Best Project and Best Project for Government.
- 2007. SourceForge Community Choice Award: Best Project for enterprise, Best user support.
- List of relational database management systems
- Comparison of relational database management systems
- ↑ "Firebird 1.5.5 Release Notes". http://firebirdsql.org/rlsnotesh/rlsnotes15.html#intro-gen-notes. Retrieved 2009-09-29. Firebird 1.5.5 General Notes for rewriting it from C to C++ language
- ↑ "Inprise/Borland Introduces InterBase 6.0 Now Free and Open Source on Linux, Windows, and Solaris". 07-16-2000. Archived from the original on 2004-12-06. http://web.archive.org/web/20041206174134/www.borland.com/news/press_releases/2000/07_16_00_ib6.html. Retrieved 29 January 2009.
- ↑ "Borland.com: Inprise/Borland Introduces Interbase 6.0 Now Free and Open Source on Linux". Linux Today. http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-07-25-004-06-PR-SV-SW. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- ↑ "Firebird History". http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=history&id=firebird. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- ↑ Paul Reeves. "What's happening to InterBase". Borland User Group. pp. 2. http://www.prototypical.co.uk/pdf/Interbase.pdf. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- ↑ "IBPhoenix Community News Archive". 2000-03-11. http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_old_news&next=Y&skip=2029. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- ↑ "IBPhoenix Community News Archive". 2000-04-11. http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_old_news&next=Y&skip=2015. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- ↑ "Firebird Relational Database 1.5 Final Out". Slashdot. 23rd February 2004. http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/23/201230. Retrieved 31 January 2009.
- ↑ Helen Borrie (2007-11-30). "Firebird 1.5.5 Release Notes". Firebird Project. http://www.firebirdsql.org/rlsnotes/Firebird-1.5.5-ReleaseNotes.pdf. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- ↑ Dmitry Yemanov. "Firebird 2.0 Final Release Launches in Prague". http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devjournal&id=djarchive&no_rss=1#00022.jnl. Retrieved 2009-02-05.
- ↑ Helen Borrie (2009-01-22). "Firebird 2.0.5 Release Notes". http://www.firebirdsql.org/devel/doc/rlsnotes/pdf/Firebird-2.0.5-ReleaseNotes.pdf. Retrieved 2009-02-05.
- ↑ Helen Borrie (2008-07-15). "Firebird 2.1 Release Notes". http://www.firebirdsql.org/devel/doc/rlsnotes/html/rlsnotes210.html#rnfb210-new-feat. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- ↑ Helen Borrie (2008-07-02). "Firebird 2.5 Release Notes". http://www.firebirdsql.org/rlsnotesh/rlsnotes25.html. Retrieved 2009-02-09.
- ↑ Dmitry Yemanov (2008-12). "Firebird Roadmap 2009". http://firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=engine&id=roadmap_2009&nosb=1. Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- ↑ "Get to know Firebird in 2 minutes". http://www.firebirdnews.org/docs/fb2min.html.
- ↑ Roman Rokytskyy. "A not-so-very technical discussion of Multi Version Concurrency Control". Roman Rokytskyy. pp. 7. http://www.firebirdsql.org/doc/whitepapers/fb_vs_ibm_vs_oracle.pdf. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- ↑ "Investigating Firebird with Helen Borrie, Project Lead". http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/helen-borrie-project-lead.
|This article's external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. Please improve this article by removing excessive and inappropriate external links or by converting links into references.|
- Firebird - Project website
- IBPhoenix - Firebird Portal
- FirebirdNews - Major source of Firebird related news
- FlameRobin - cross-platform Administration tool for Firebird, Open Source under MIT license
- Firebird SQL Code Formatter, online service.
- Firebird collations, charts.
- Firebird documentation by IBProvider
- FireBase - Biggest Firebird portal in Brazilcs:Firebird
da:Firebird (databaseserver) de:Firebird (Datenbank) es:Firebird fr:Firebird (base de données) ko:파이어버드 (데이터베이스) id:Firebird it:Firebird SQL he:Firebird hu:Firebird nl:Firebird (database) ja:Firebird no:Firebird pl:Firebird pt:Firebird (servidor de base de dados) ru:Firebird sr:FirebirdSQL fi:Firebird sv:FirebirdSQL tr:Firebird (veri tabanı) uk:Firebird zh:Firebird (数据库)