From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
Screenshot of Hi5's home page
|Type of site||Social Networking|
|Created by||Ramu Yalamanchi|
|Launched||June 27, 2003|
In Hi5, users create an online profile in order to show information such as interests, age and hometown and upload user pictures where users can post comments. Hi5 also allows the user to create personal photo albums and set up a music player in the profile. Users can also send friend requests via e-mail to other users. When a person receives a friend request, he may accept or decline it, or block the user altogether. If the user accepts another user as a friend, the two will be connected directly or in the 1st degree. The user will then appear on the person's friend list and vice-versa.
Some users opt to make their profiles available for everyone on Hi5 to view. Other users exercise the option to make their profile viewable only to those people who are in their network. The network of friends consists of a user's direct friends (1st degree), the friends of those direct friends (2nd degree) and the friends of the friends of direct friends (3rd degree).
According to comScore, in 2008 Hi5 was the third most popular social networking site in terms of monthly unique visitors.
Although created and headquartered in the United States, it is more popular in other countries, particularly in Latin America, being ranked 37th in the world only among people who have the Alexa toolbar installed on their browser  but only 84th in the US .
Hi5 has been using spam methods to gain more users. It sent an invitation e-mail to all your Gmail contacts if you weren't paying attention at the registration process.Template:Cn
- ↑ "hi5.com - Traffic Details from Alexa". Alexa Internet, Inc. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/hi5.com. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ↑ ([dead link] – Scholar search) Web Sites Push, The Hispanic ButtonTampa Tribune, April 22, 2007, http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBGG2H8U0F.html
- ↑ Young Hispanics online, Albuquerque Tribune, April 27, 2007, http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/apr/27/young-hispanics-online/
- ↑ Social-networking sites going global, USA Today, February 10, 2008, http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2008-02-10-social-networking-global_N.htm
- ↑ Allwood, Brandon (May 03, 2005). "Entertain yourself online". Jamaica Observer. http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/TeenAge/html/20050502T210000-0500_79775_OBS_ENTERTAIN_YOURSELF_ONLINE_.asp.
- ↑ Social Networking Explodes Worldwide as Sites Increase their Focus on Cultural Relevance, http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=2396
- ↑ http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=global&lang=none
- ↑ http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=US&ts_mode=country&lang=none
- ↑ Hi5 "Add Friend" Malicious Spam, http://securitylabs.websense.com/content/Alerts/3205.aspx, retrieved 2009-01-04
- ↑ Great, One More Friend Or So You Think., Sophos, http://www.sophos.com/security/blog/2008/12/2214.html, retrieved 2009-01-04
- hi5 - Official Website
- Traffic Stats - Traffic Data For The 20 Most Popular Social Networking Websitesar:هاي فايف