From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|File:Hudong dot com sitescreenshot LQ.PNG|
Screenshot taken on 29th of July, 2009
|Slogan||The interactive encyclopedia|
|Type of site||Online encyclopedia|
|Owner||Hoodong (Beijing) Technologies Co.|
|Created by||Dr. Pan Haidong (CEO)|
|Launched||June 19, 2005|
|Alexa rank||77 (in China)|
|Current status||perpetual work-in-progress|
As of November 2009, it was China's largest wiki site and online encyclopedia with over 3.92 million articles, 4.34 billion words, three million pictures and 1.9 million registered users, according to its website.
Hudong, a 2007 RedHerring 100 Asia company, developed its own wiki software platform as a rival to the more established MediaWiki called HDWiki. The system has some social networking-like interactive features, such as user profile, friends and groups. The first version was released in November 2006 and by November 2007 version 3 with added functions, features, and more stability was also released.
The HDWiki software has been downloaded 200,000 times and currently supports over 1,000 other web sites in China (as of December 2007), consisting mostly of tech researchers, OS groups, government, universities, and high school students.
Hudong includes features of social networking sites including forums and fan groups. Unlike Wikipedia, Hudong is a for-profit business. Its content is fully copyrighted, rather than released under a free license.
- ↑ http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/hudong.com
- ↑ hoodong.com - Traffic Details from Alexa
- ↑ Hudong.com Confirms Expansion into Overseas Market, Invading Wikipedia's territory
- ↑ "Hoodong: Homegrown Wiki". BV Capital Blog. BV Capital. 2007-11-27. http://china.bvcapital.com/?p=77. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 innovative Chinese wiki software: interview with hoodong
- ↑ PR, Newswire (2009-11-12). "Hudong.com Confirms Expansion". sys-con. http://www.sys-con.com/node/1184616. Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- ↑ http://thenextweb.com/asia/2009/11/24/hudong-thumped-wikipedia-china/
- ↑ Red Herring 100 Asia, 2007
- ↑ Farrar, Lara (2009-10-15). "It's tricky for wikis and online encyclopedias in China". CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/10/14/wiki.china/index.html. Retrieved 21 December 2009.
- ↑ "Wiki Site Hudong.com Nears 3M Entries, 3B Characters". JLM Pacific Epoch (JL McGregor & Company). 2009-01-07. http://www.jlmpacificepoch.com/newsstories?id=139049_0_5_0_M. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- ↑ Fletcher, Owen (May 22, 2009). "'Chinese Wikipedia' Offers Social Networking Too". PC World. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/165404/chinese_wikipedia_offers_social_networking_too.html. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- Lara Farrar (2009-11-20). "Hudong.com expands abroad". chinadaily.com.cn. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-11/20/content_9015012.htm. Retrieved December 6, 2009. es:Hudong