From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Headquarters||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|Industry||Consumer Internet / Local Search|
Insider Pages is an online "local search" service operated by IAC/InterActiveCorp.
Before its acquisition by IAC the company was based in Redwood Shores, California, and had over 600,000 reviews of local merchants around the country. Insider Pages was founded by Stuart MacFarlane in 2004. On March 27, 2006, the company announced an $8.5 million investment by Sequoia Capital, Softbank Capital, and Idealab. The company addressed a demographic (by its description) of young and middle-aged families who own homes in urban and suburban areas.
After laying off two thirds of its staff  in January 2007, they were acquired (for an undisclosed amount) by IAC, operators of Citysearch, in March 2007. As part of IAC, Insider Pages has grown significantly and now has more than 1.5 million user generated reviews and receives over 5 million unique visitors each month. In November of 2007 Insider Pages launched the Insider Pages Fundraiser program. This program allows schools, youth sports teams, church groups, community organizations and other not-for-profit organizations to raise money without having to ask for donations or sell things like candy bars and wrapping paper. Instead, all the parents involved with a school group, for instance, get together and write as many reviews of local businesses as they can on Insider Pages for three weeks. For every review that they write, Insider Pages makes a donation to the school. Since then, Insider Pages has helped hundreds of organizations around the United States raise funds for their programs.
Some of the site's top features include:
- Multiple reviews per business
- User photos of businesses
- Interactive Maps
- "Helpful" / "Not Helpful" rankings
- Free Merchant promotion tools
- Favorite businesses by city
- Fundraising programs for charity organizations
- "Let's Say Your Toilet Backs Up. How Do You Find a Good Plumber?". New York Times. 2006-08-05. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/05/business/yourmoney/05money.html.
- Stefanie Olsen (2005-05-02). "Online ad sellers think local". CNET News.com. http://news.com.com/Online+ad+sellers+think+local/2100-1024_3-5690651.html.
- Stefanie Olsen (2004-10-04). "Idealab chief stakes out new direction in search". CNET News.com. http://news.com.com/Idealab+chief+stakes+out+new+direction+in+search/2100-1038_3-5395790.html.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Local Search Engine Insider Pages Announces Relocation to Redwood Shores, CA and Investment by Sequoia Capital, Softbank Capital and Idealab.", Insiderpages.com press advisory, March 27, 2006
- ↑ Techcrunch "Big Layoffs at Insider Pages", January 7, 2007