Iraqi Virtual Science Library
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article is an orphan, as few or no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions are available. (February 2009)|
The Iraqi Virtual Science Library is an Iraqi Virtual Library providing Iraqi academics with access to recourses via the internet. The library, launched in May 2006, initially provided access to more than one million articles from 17,000 electronic journals and other resources. Access to this knowledge is considered vital for the rebuilding of Iraq as it will improve the curriculum which suffered under Saddam Hussein's regime. The library is part of the overall plan to improve access to information in Iraq.
The library's creation was spearheaded by a group of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) fellows, including D.J. Patil, a scientist from the University of Maryland, College Park, in connection with JSTOR. The library was funded in part by the US Department of Defense.
The U.S. Civilian Research & Development Foundation (CRDF) has managed the Iraqi Virtual Science Library following its official launch in May 2006. Continued funding has been provided by the US Department of State and the United States Department of Energy
In 2008, the Iraqi Virtual Science Library was expanded to provide access to all public universities in Iraq and a handful of Iraqi Ministries that are key to reconstruction efforts and future development.
University of Anbar
Al Muthanna University
University of Dohuk
Hawler Medical University - Kurdistan
The Islamic University, Baghdad
University of Koya
University of Kurdistan - Hawler
University of Sulaimani
Thi Qar University
University of Technology, Iraq
Iraqi Academy of Science
Ministry of Environment (Iraq)
Ministry of Science and Technology (Iraq)
Ministry of Electricity (Iraq)
Ministry of Oil (Iraq)
Ministry of Agriculture (Iraq)
Ministry of Health (Iraq)
Ministry of Water Resources (Iraq)
Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (Iraq)
Ministry of Municipalities and Public Works (Iraq)
- ↑ "University of Maryland Scientist Leads Creation of Virtual Science Library for Iraq". AScrive Science News Service. 2006-05-01. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-15066209_ITM. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ Steven Donald Smith (2006-05-04). "Virtual Library Gives Iraqi Scientists Access to Valuable Knowledge". The Conservative Voice. http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/14367.html. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ "Rebuilding Iraqi Science". NPR. 2006-06-23. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5506655. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ Iraqi Libraries and Archives in Peril: Survival in a time of Invasion, Chaos, and Civil Conflict, A Report http://archnet.org/library/documents/one-document.jsp?document_id=10241
- ↑ AAAS News Release Virtual Library Offers Reams of Data—and Hope—to Embattled Iraqi S&T Community http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2006/0509iraq.shtml
- ↑ "University of Maryland Scientist Spearheads Creation of Iraqi Virtual Science Library". Computers in Libraries. 2006-07-01. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-16128559_ITM. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ "JSTOR Teams up with Iraqi Virtual Science Library". Information Today. 2006-09-01. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-18585010_ITM. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ Michael Baumann (2006). "Iraq Gets a Foothold in Cyberspace". Information Today 23 (7): 1–46. http://connection.ebscohost.com/content/article/1043186788.html.
- ↑ "Iraqi Educators Reconnect via Virtual Library". International Educator. 2006-07-01. http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-1086404211.html. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- ↑ CRDF Fact Sheet: Iraqi Virtual Science Library: http://www.crdf.org/factsheets/factsheets_show.htm?doc_id=676089
|File:Nuvola apps bookcase.svg||This library-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|