From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|File:Kaioo.com logo blue on transparent.png|
screenshot of kaioo as of 1 July 2008
|Type of site||Social network service|
|Registration||Required for most services|
|Available language(s)||English, German|
|Owner||kaioo gemeinnuetzige Stiftungs-GmbH|
|Created by||Thomas Kreye, Rolf Schmidt-Holtz|
|Current status||active (beta)|
kaioo offers its users standard features of social networking websites. They can create profiles, communicate with friends, join groups, upload pictures, etc. The site features a "match" function first seen on Orkut: a user can express interest in another user, but that user will only learn about it if he/she in turn expresses interest in the first user.
Users can form and join groups favoring specific charities, and the ten charities with the largest groups receive donations at the end of the year, proportional to their support among the kaioo users. The operating costs of the sites are covered by donors.
The concept and its execution are due to Thomas Kreye, who quit his job as director of Business Development at Bertelsmann early in 2007 to pursue the "dream of a truly social, democratic and completely independent internet community". Rolf Schmidt-Holtz, CEO of Sony BMG who knew Kreye from his time at Bertelsmann, donated 500,000 euros of his private money to cover the project's first year costs. The organization behind kaioo, a foundation named Toro, is based in Hamburg and has received non-profit status by German tax authorities.
Currently kaioo users and the kaioo founders are working on the Terms and Data Protection Guidelines. Kaioo users shall be given the right to decide about modifications of the Privacy Terms. Since all data belongs to the users they get to decide how their data is handled. Kaioo does this because as a government approved non-profit community they do not need to maximize their profit and do not have any interest in using data against the will of their users. The privacy terms of kaioo.com can be edited in the wiki on wiki.kaioo.com. This wiki was formerly on a different domain and created by users. These users have now integrated the wiki into kaioo.
The kaioo Wiki
The privacy terms and the general terms and conditions can be modified by every user of the kaioo wikis. The wiki also has the purpose to help organize and work on important issues concerning kaioo, like user-created marketing and discussions. Also groups can discuss and publish their thoughts.
The kaioo wikis are created by kaioo users. Until now there are two external wikis, one in German and one in English. Some users are working on a new wiki which will be hosted on the kaioo servers. It is expected that the wiki will be officially available with the new release in June.
Purpose of the company
According to the articles of association
"The company’s purpose is the support of science and research, education, art and culture, assistance to young and old people, support of public health services, support of indigent and destitute persons, of environment protection, the preservation of nature and monuments, help for persons persecuted on political and racial grounds or for religious reasons as well as for refugees, expellees, evacuees, war victims, war widows and orphans, the war-disabled and prisoners of war and support for development aid."
In order to fulfill its purpose kaioo operates an "internet-based fund-raising platform", where private persons and companies can set up networks and generate donations of any kind.
- ↑ "Contact kaioo". kaioo. http://www.kaioo.com/kaioo.html#info.imprint. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "About kaioo". kaioo. http://www.kaioo.com/kaioo.html#info.about. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- ↑ "Social networking 3.0: Kaioo, nonprofit, for users by users" (in en). Jean Yves Chainon. http://www.editorsweblog.org/news//2008/01/social_networking_30_kaioo_nonprofit_for.php.
- ↑ "Information on Data Protection" (in en). Thomas Kreye and Rolf Schmidt-Holtz. http://www.kaioo.com/kaioo.html?locale=en#info.articles_of_association.
- ↑ "Privacy is key to new social networking site, Kaioo" (in en). Doreen Carvajal. http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/02/technology/network03.php.
- ↑ "Group of the kaioo Supporter Association" (in de). kaioo users. http://www.kaioo.com/kaioo.html?locale=de#group.2f8f.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Articles of Association". Thomas Kreye and Rolf Schmidt-Holtz. http://www.kaioo.com/kaioo.html#info.data_protection.
- Flirten für den guten Zweck, Spiegel Online, 17 November 2007. (German)
- Kaioo - The Really Social Network Launches, de.blognation.com, 18 November 2007 (English)
|Please help improve this article by expanding it. Further information might be found on the talk page. (July 2008)|