From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Type of site||Music, Statistics & Community|
|Created by||FooCorp/GNU Project|
|Launched||April 1st 2009|
The website stores a user's listening habit using information sent to the website's server from the user's audio player (scrobbling). In order to enable support for Libre.fm on existing audio player (last.fm is supported by many audio players), the website implements the Audioscrobbler API.
By utilising the records of user's listening habits, the website aims to be able to recommend music to users by analysing their musical taste. However, this feature isn't developed yet. A goal of the project is to encourage artists to release tracks under a free license, and allow users to download or purchase these tracks. Only artists releasing music under free content licenses are promoted by the site. The website will also allow users to communicate among themselves, create groups of common interests and share information on musical events.
The main reasoning behind the foundation of Libre.fm was to provide a service similar to last.fm that respects the privacy of its users and their information. As such, Libre.fm does not log users' IP addresses, allows users to decide if their listening habits are to be made public or not, and does not claim ownership on users' data.
Libre.fm currently consists of two free software components. GNUkebox is the server that records and reports the audio tracks listened to by a user, and Nixtape provides the community site used to form relationship between users, create groups and share events. The Libre.fm code is published under the GNU AGPL and can be used independently from Libre.fm on any computer, such that users can run their own servers for complete privacy.
- ↑ [|Lynch, Dan] (2009-04-02). "Libre.fm - Building An Open Last.fm". Adventures In Open Source. http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/04/librefm/. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- ↑ "Client Support". The Libre.fm Wiki. http://bugs.libre.fm/wiki/Client_Support. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- ↑ "Comment on "Libre.fm - Building An Open Last.fm"". Reddit.com. http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/89ka8/librefm_building_an_open_lastfm/c08n17w. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- ↑ "Libre.fm". The Libre.fm website. http://libre.fm. Retrieved 2009-06-21.
- ↑ "License". The Libre.fm Wiki. http://bugs.libre.fm/wiki/License. Retrieved 2009-06-21.