From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
Okular showing a PDF in KDE 4
|Developer(s)||The Okular Team|
|Stable release||0.9.4 / December 1, 2009|
|Type||Universal document viewer|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Okular is the document viewer for KDE 4 (although it does not require the full KDE desktop). It is based on KPDF and it replaced KPDF, KGhostView, KFax, KFaxview, KDVI in KDE 4. Its functionality can be easily embedded in other applications.
Okular was identified as a success story of the 2007 Season of Usability. In this season the Okular toolbar mockup was created based on an analysis of other popular document viewers and a usage survey.
Okular has additional features, including commenting on pdf documents, highlighting and drawing lines, geometric shapes, adding textboxes, and stamps.. It allows to select a part of the document and save it as text, or in an image format.
It supports the following file formats:
- Portable Document Format (PDF) with the Poppler backend
- PostScript with the libgs backend (Okular 0.6/KDE 4.0) / libspectre backend (Okular >= 0.7/KDE >= 4.1)
- Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) with the libTIFF backend
- Microsoft Compiled HTML Help (CHM) with the libCHM backend
- DjVu with the DjVuLibre backend
- Device independent file format (DVI)
- XML Paper Specification (XPS)
- OpenDocument format (ODF)
- Various image formats.
- ↑ KDE Developer's Corner - Google Summer of Code 2005 Projects
- ↑ KDE Developer's Corner - oKular
- ↑ Season of Usability Published on September 30th, 2007 by Ellen Reitmayr » Blog Archive » Success Stories ‘07: Okular
- ↑ Okular - more than a reader - document format handlers status