From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Number of locations||4 (2010)|
|Area served||North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.|
|Products||Reporting Server, Analysis Server|
Open iT, Incorporated is an independent software vendor that specializes in metering, analyzing, and optimizing usage of critical IT assets. It was founded in 1999 by Eistein Fosli, who obtained his Masters of Science in Information Technology from the University of Oslo.
The company’s headquarters is in Oslo, Norway. Open iT also has offices in Houston (Texas), Stavanger (Norway), and Lucena City (Philippines). The company’s main operations are in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.
Open iT’s products were envisioned to create better IT metering tools, particularly in the area of License Management. The company’s products have now become an established standard for usage metering, competence planning, and cost allocation management.
Open iT’s software meters and then reports on how individuals and groups use applications, servers, storage, databases, and services across an enterprise. Web-based reports document usage and identify when resources have been over or under-purchased. The generated reports can also be used to assist in planning and auditing IT expenditures.
The Open iT Software Suite has 7 primary modules. These are LicenseAnalyzer, DatabaseReporter, LicenseOptimizer, ApplicationTracker, SystemAnalyzer, StorageAnalyzer, and UsageAnalyzer.
Open iT LicenseAnalyzer is an essential tool for managing software licenses. This module provides an enterprise-wide view of software license usage, allowing companies to align purchases and maintenance with user needs. Some of this module’s primary functions include the following:
- builds information about trends and usage patterns across an organization
- meters license usage across an enterprise
- optimizes deployment of expensive license resources
- minimizes the cost of purchasing licenses
Open iT DatabaseReporter monitors database parameters and resources delivering knowledge about the health of a company’s Oracle and Sybase systems. Some of this module’s primary functions include the following:
- provides detailed accounting of database usage, which includes a user's
- connection time
- amount of read and written data
- used/free space information
- discovers database trends to optimize database usage
- determines excess database information for maximum database performance and minimal database costs
Open iT LicenseOptimizer monitors several applications’ activity levels on Windows, UNIX, and Linux platforms. Some of this module’s primary functions include the following:
- optimizes license usage by disabling unused applications
- disables and recalls licenses for others to use
- allows a license to be reinstated into the program when a license becomes available
Open iT ApplicationTracker monitors several applications’ activity levels of Windows, Unix and Linux platforms, enabling advanced reporting of active/inactive software usage independent of licensing methods.
Technically, ApplicationTracker is a subset of LicenseOptimizer. It allows users to record an application’s activity conditions without using LicenseOptimizer’s advanced methods for automatic license and application management.
- provides essential computer usage statistics, e.g. what applications are running, how long an application is running, who is running the application (user), and what the application’s host(s) is/are.
- provides valuable information about disk usage
- shows how full each device is
- delivers storage trend reports
- plans storage management
- enables the accounting of NetApp filers’ setup and use of quotas
Open iT UsageAnalyzer tracks each user’s keyboard and mouse activities enabling personalized user training. Some of this module’s primary functions include the following:
- collects data on keyboard and mouse activities
- provides information on whether an application is really being used or just kept open
- helps analyze an application based on its User Interface components
Open iT Software Suite supports almost all Windows and UNIX platforms. These include AIX (Advanced Interactive eXecutive), Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, Digital UNIX, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows Server, and Windows XP.
Supported 3rd Party Programs
Open iT Software Suite supports several 3rd party programs. These include IBM TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager), FLEXlm License Manager, Elan / Abaqus License Manager, Oracle Database, Sybase, SGE (Sun Grid Engine), PBS (Portable Batch System), and Netapp.
Most of Open iT’s customers are listed Fortune Global 500 companies. These include BHP Billiton, ConocoPhilips, Hess Corporation, Mazda Motor Corporation, Shell, Maersk Oil and Gas, Apache, Maxtor/Seagate, Total, Toyota, Hitachi, Matsushita, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Canon, Sharp, Sanyo, Isuzu, Yamaha, Nissan, Ricoh, and Mitsubishi.