From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
Open Search Server (OSS) is a search engine software developed under the GPL v3 open source licence. Built using open source software technologies, Open Search Server is intended to be a stable, high-performance search engine with a suite of full text search algorithms. With the release of a stable v1.1, OSS has reached the Top 15 of Sourceforge projects.
- Multi-languages indexing: Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.
- Multi-lingual analysers slice sentences into words, then run lemmatisation algorithms on words based on the document’s language (singular/plural, gender, conjugated verbs, etc.)
- The crawlers go through web sites and file systems to rapidly and easily build an index.
- Numerous document formats are supported, such as XML, HTML/XHTML, Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, OpenOffice, etc.
- The web interface is built around the Zkoss framework. It runs with the main Ajax browsers. This RIA-type interface is as comfortable to use as that of a heavy client.
- Configuration through a single XML file, which includes fields definition and the indexation options.
- Quick integration thanks to an XML interface via HTTP queries (XML over HTTP). PHP client classes are provided.
Open Search Server was born as a project of the InfoPro Communications company. As it kept being used for new and different needs, it ended up being made generic enough to be used by all sorts of external developers, then made available outside of the company.