From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Founded||San Francisco, California, USA |
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Key people||Trip Adler (CEO),|
George Consagra (President),
Jared Friedman (CTO),
Tikhon Bernstam (COO)
|Type of site||Social Software|
Scribd (Pronounced 'Scrib'd') is a document-sharing website which allows users to post documents of various formats, and embed them into a web page using its iPaper format. Scribd currently has more than 50 million monthly users and more than 50,000 documents are uploaded daily.
iPaper is a rich document format similar to PDF built for the web, which allows users to embed documents into a web page. iPaper was built with Adobe Flash, allowing it to be viewed the same across different operating systems (Windows, Mac OS, and Linux) without conversion, as long as the reader has Flash installed. (The iPhone and Android browsers do not support Flash as of late 2009.) All major document types can be formatted into iPaper including Word docs, PowerPoint presentations, PDFs, OpenOffice documents, and PostScript files.
All iPaper documents are hosted on Scribd. Scribd allows published documents to either be private or open to the larger Scribd community. The iPaper document viewer is also embeddable in any website or blog, making it simple to embed documents in their original layout regardless of file format.
The company was initially funded with USD $12,000 from Y Combinator, and received over USD $3.7 million in June 2007 from Redpoint Ventures and The Kinsey Hills Group. In December 2008, the company raised USD $9 million in a second round of funding, led by Charles River Ventures with re-investment from Redpoint Ventures and Kinsey Hills Group, and hired as president George Consagra, former Bebo COO and managing director of Organic Inc.
A class action lawsuit has been filed against Scribd, accusing it of calculated copyright infringement for profit.
Supported file formats
Supported formats include:
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- PostScript (.ps)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps, .pptx)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, xlsx)
- OpenOffice Text Document (.odt, .sxw)
- OpenOffice Presentation Document (.odp, .sxi)
- OpenOffice Spreadsheet (.ods, .sxc)
- All OpenDocument formats
- Plain text (.txt)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- ↑ Publishers, Authors Weigh Merits of Scribd
- ↑ iPaper: a Simple Way to View and Share Documents on the Web | Compiler from Wired.com
- ↑ Global Storage Settings panel, Macromedia.com. The optional setting is "Allow third-party Flash content to store data on your computer." Accessed 2009-02-01.
- ↑ Scribd Banks $3.5 Million from Redpoint
- ↑ Scribd | CrunchBase Company Profile
- ↑ Scribd raises $9 million, hires new president for social publishing
- ↑ Motoko Rich (2009-05-11). "Print Books Are Target of Pirates on the Web". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/12/technology/internet/12digital.html?em. Retrieved 2009-05-11.
- ↑ Motoko Rich (2009-09-19). "Jammie Thomas lawyers file suit against Scribd". CNET News.com. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10357108-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5. Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- ↑ http://support.scribd.com/forums/35566/entries/25092