Search engine optimization methods
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|It has been suggested that this article or section be merged with search engine optimization. (Discuss)|
The leading search engines, such as Google and Yahoo!, use crawlers to find pages for their algorithmic search results. Pages that are linked from other search engine indexed pages do not need to be submitted because they are found automatically. Some search engines, notably Yahoo!, operate a paid submission service that guarantee crawling for either a set fee or cost per click. Such programs usually guarantee inclusion in the database, but do not guarantee specific ranking within the search results. Two major directories, the Yahoo Directory and the Open Directory Project both require manual submission and human editorial review. Google offers Google Webmaster Tools, for which an XML Sitemap feed can be created and submitted for free to ensure that all pages are found, especially pages that aren't discoverable by automatically following links.
Search engine crawlers may look at a number of different factors when crawling a site. Not every page is indexed by the search engines. Distance of pages from the root directory of a site may also be a factor in whether or not pages get crawled.
Variety of other methods are employed to get a webpage indexed and shown up in the results.
- Cross linking between pages of the same website. Giving more links to main pages of the website, to increase PageRank used by search engines. Linking from other websites, including link farming and comment spam.
- Keyword rich text in the webpage and key phrases, so as to match all search queries. Adding relevant keywords to a web page meta tags, including keyword stuffing.
- URL normalization for webpages with multiple urls, using "canonical" meta tag.
- ↑ "Submitting To Search Crawlers: Google, Yahoo, Ask & Microsoft's Live Search". Search Engine Watch. 2007-03-12. http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167871. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- ↑ "Search Submit". searchmarketing.yahoo.com. http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/srchsb/index.php. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- ↑ "Submitting To Directories: Yahoo & The Open Directory". Search Engine Watch. 2007-03-12. http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=2167881. Retrieved 2007-05-15.
- ↑ "What is a Sitemap file and why should I have one?". google.com. http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=40318&topic=8514. Retrieved 2007-03-19.
- ↑ Cho, J., Garcia-Molina, H. (1998). "Efficient crawling through URL ordering". Proceedings of the seventh conference on World Wide Web, Brisbane, Australia. http://dbpubs.stanford.edu:8090/pub/1998-51. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- ↑  "link popularity"
- ↑  Link Development"
- ↑  "keyword rich text"
- ↑