From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Type of site||Broadband internet speed test|
|Available language(s)||English, French, Deutsch, Italian|
|Owner||Ookla Net Metrics|
Speedtest.net is a free broadband connection analysis website founded by Ookla Net Metrics in 2006. Users can test their internet speed against hundreds of geographically dispersed servers around the world. At the end of each test, users are presented with their download (the speed of data from the server to your computer) and upload (the speed of sending data from your computer to the server) bandwidth speeds. The tests are performed completely within your web browser over HTTP (just like normal web browsing). Since its inception, well over 1 billion speed tests have been conducted on Speedtest.net.
The technology behind Speedtest.net is identical to that of the Ookla Speed Test which is provided to a wide variety of companies and organizations on a licensed basis. Speedtest.net Mini is a free stripped-down version of the speed test technology used on Speedtest.net that users can run on their own web server. Together, over 20 million speed tests are generated each month using Ookla's software.
Top 5 countries for download speed as of December 25, 2009:
|Position||Country||Average Download Speed|
|1||Republic of Korea||23.67 Mb/s|
|4||Åland Islands||15.61 Mb/s|
- ↑ Broadband speeds around the world BBC News. Retrieved December 2, 2007.
- ↑ The truth about Kiwi broadband The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved July 27, 2007.
- ↑ Hey Telstra, forget about broadband The Age. Retrieved June 24, 2007.
- ↑ Speakeasy Founder Launches New Venture April 4, 2006
- ↑ Ookla Net Metrics - Gallery
- ↑ Ookla Net Metrics - About
- ↑ Speedtest.net - World Results. Retrieved November 21, 2009.