From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can. (June 2009)|
|This article may need to be wikified to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please help by adding relevant internal links, or by improving the article's layout. (June 2009)|
|Type of site||Professional network service|
Spoke is a business directory and social networking site founded in 2002 and launched in 2003 mainly used for professional networking. The site collects and aggregates information from public sources, private databases and member uploads . Based in San Mateo, California, Spoke is a privately held company with investment from Sierra Ventures, Partech International and DCM.
The purpose of the site is to allow registered users to maintain a list of contact details of people they know and trust in business. The people in the list are called Coworkers. Users can invite anyone (whether a site user or not) to become a Coworkers.
This list of Coworkers can then be used in a number of ways:
- A contact network is built up consisting of their direct Coworkers, the Coworkers of each of their Coworkers (termed second-degree Coworkers) and also the Coworkers of second-degree Coworkers (termed third-degree Coworkers). This can be used to gain an introduction to someone you wish to know through a mutual, trusted contact.
- It can then be used to find jobs, people and business opportunities recommended by someone in one's contact network.
- Employers can list jobs and search for potential candidates.
- Job seekers can review the profile of hiring managers and discover which of their existing contacts can introduce them.
Overall the Spoke.Com website and service comes across as a scam. You cannot contact them, and of all the people listed as being co-workers, not one of them works for the Company. Although their details lead back to the actual Company website. You cannot easily contact Spoke.Com to discuss this. Therefore, conclusion - Scam Website, a real Company with faith in their product is contactable.
Further reading: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/spoke.html
Removal of Pages
Concerns have been raised about Spoke's policies on the retention of personal information 
Sites with comparable features
- Business network
- Reputation systems
- Social network
- Social software
- List of social networking websites
- Information Routing Group
- ↑ "Spoke.com - Profile". 2009. http://www.spoke.com/. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- ↑ "Where does Spoke get data?" (in Spoke.com). http://www.spoke.com/resources/faq/index.jsp#where. Retrieved 2009-06-10.
- ↑ https://forums2.symantec.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/grab_bag/article-id/36#M36