Textile (markup language)
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
Textile is a lightweight markup language originally developed by Dean Allen and billed as a "humane Web text generator". Textile converts its marked-up text input to valid, well-formed XHTML and also inserts character entity references for apostrophes, opening and closing single and double quotation marks, ellipses and em dashes.
Version 2.0 was released in 2006.
Textile syntax examples
This is not an exhaustive listing of Textile's syntax. For a list of all available options in Textile 2, see the full syntax reference.
_emphasized_ (e.g., italics) *strongly emphasized* (e.g., boldface)
* An item in a bulleted (unordered) list * Another item in a bulleted list ** Second Level ** Second Level Items *** Third level
# An item in an enumerated (ordered) list xxxxxxx # Another item in an enumerated list yyyyyy ## Another level in an enumerated list vvvvvvvv
* This is a bullet *# this is a numbered list *# this is another numbered list * This is another bullet
Tables (a | character must be at the beginning and end of every row):
|_. Header |_. Header |_. Header | | Cell 1 | Cell 2 | Cell 3 | | Cell 1 | Cell 2 | Cell 3 |
Headings: (you must leave a blank line after each heading)
h1(#id). An HTML first-level heading
h2. An HTML second-level heading
h3. An HTML third-level heading
h4. An HTML fourth-level heading
h5. An HTML fifth-level heading
h6. An HTML sixth-level heading
bq. This text will be enclosed in an HTML blockquote element.
"(classname)link text(title tooltip)":link_address
- Textpattern, a content-management system, also originally by Dean Allen, which uses Textile.
- Textile Homepage, examples of the newest implementation in PHP
- hobix.com Textile Reference, an example-based Textile reference.
- Text::Textile, an implementation of Textile in Perl.
- PyTextile, an implementation of Textile in Python.
- RedCloth, an implementation of Textile in Ruby.
- vbsTextile, an implementation of Textile for Microsoft Active Server Pages
- Textile UDF, an implementation of Textile in ColdFusion.
- JTextile, an implementation of Textile in Java
- Textile4j, an implementation of Textile in Java
- Textile-j, an implementation of Textile in Java that includes components for SWT and JFace and an Eclipse editor plugin
- Xilize, a superset of Textile for generating webpages, documents, and websites with any plain-text editor (plugin for jEdit available). Opensource.
- Textile.NET, an implementation of Textile in C#/.NET
- octalforty Brushie Text, one more implementation of Textile in C#/.NET
- Texticl, an implementation of Textile in Common Lisp
- Textile Markup with MediaWiki, a way to use Textile on MediaWiki sites like Wikipedia
- Mylyn WikiText, an implementation of Textile in Java that includes components for SWT and JFace, Ant tasks and an Eclipse editor pluginde:Textile