From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
TorrentFreak frontpage on August 16th, 2009
|Type of site||Blog|
|Owner||Lennart Renkema PhD|
|Created by||“Ernesto Van Der Sar”, “Smaran”, Andy “Enigmax” Maxwell, Ben Jones (Modified WordPress)|
|Launched||November 12, 2005|
TorrentFreak is a blog dedicated to reporting the latest news on the BitTorrent protocol and filesharing. TorrentFreak was started in November 2005 by a Dutchman using the pseudonym “Ernesto Van Der Sar”. He added “Smaran” to his staff in September 2006, as well as Andy “Enigmax” Maxwell in February 2007 and Ben Jones in May 2007.
Comcast BitTorrent throttling
On August 17th, 2007 TorrentFreak reported that Comcast had begun throttling its upload bandwidth, specifically against BitTorrent users. This made seeding, which is an essential part of the BitTorrent protocol, effectively impossible. It was later determined that Comcast was using Sandvine products which implement network traffic shaping and policing, and include support for both blocking new and forcefully terminating established network connections. Comcast has denied these claims whenever they have been asked to comment. A guide, for customer service representatives when asked about Comcast's BitTorrent throttling, was leaked to the Consumerist on October 26th, 2007.
- ↑ Pouwelse, J. & Renkema, L. (2009, April 17). “Piraten zijn digitale pioniers” (“Pirates are digital pioneers”), NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved on November 1, 2009.
- ↑ Injijian, Allen (2007-05-14). "Pwned: Final Project Interview #2: Ernesto of TorrentFreak.com". http://uscpwned.blogspot.com/2007/05/final-project-interview-2-ernesto-of.html. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Smith, Ethan; McBride, Sarah (2008-08-04). "Web Piracy: The Enemy Within?". The Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121781125541508813.html. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- ↑ "About TorrentFreak". http://torrentfreak.com/about/. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- ↑ Light Reading - IP & Convergence - Comcast Takes on TorrentFreak - Telecom News Analysis
- ↑ Leaks: Comcast's “We Don't Throttle BitTorrent” Internal Talking Points Memo