Transmission (BitTorrent client)
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
Transmission on Mac OS X
|Developer(s)||Charles Kerr (Daemon, Backend, GTK+ client), Mitchell Livingston (Mac OS X client)|
|Operating system||UNIX (Mac OS X, Linux)|
Transmission is a BitTorrent client which features a simple interface on top of a cross-platform back-end. Transmission is free software dual licensed under the MIT License and GNU General Public License.
Transmission allows users to download files from the Internet and upload their own files or torrents. By grabbing items and adding them to the interface, users can create queues of files to be downloaded and uploaded. Within the file selection menus, users can customise their downloads down to components of individual files. Transmission also seeds -- that is, it can re-upload downloaded content.
- Low resource usage: In real-world tests, Transmission used less than a quarter of the memory required by other BitTorrent clients.
- Prioritization to select which torrents, and which files inside those torrents, to download first
- Magnet links support implemented for 1.80
- Selective downloading
- Optionally move torrents to a different folder when they finish downloading
- Encrypted peer connections
- Torrent file creation
- Peer exchange (compatible with Vuze and μTorrent)
- A built-in web client so that users can control Transmission remotely via the web
- Automatic port mapping (using UPnP/NAT-PMP)
- Fast Resume — with peer caching
- Blocklists for bad peers, periodically updated with the same bluetack peer list used by PeerGuardian and PeerBlock
- Single listening port for all torrents
- Scheduled bandwidth limits
- Global and per-torrent bandwidth caps
- Sorting/filtering options
- HTTPS tracker support
- IPv6 support (partial) introduced in 1.50
- DHT (Mainline) support introduced in 1.70, IPv6 DHT implemented for 1.80
Mac OS X specific features include:
- Transfer Management
- Downloading and seeding queues
- Auto-seeding options
- Dock and Growl notifications
- Quick Look technology built-in. (Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard only)
- Customizable toolbar
- Advanced progress box
- Automatic updates using Sparkle
- Universal Binary
Transmission 1.60 and later removed support for Mac OS X v10.4. Currently, Transmission 1.54 is the last version that runs on Mac OS X 10.4.
The Transmission back-end (libTransmission) also serves as the basis of the Transmission daemon. The daemon supports a web front-end called Clutch. Older versions have been ported to form the basis of the update system for the video game Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on PS3, as well as the backend for ImageShack's BitTorrent service.
There are several transmission clients for different operatings systems including Linux and Unix-like, Mac OS X and BeOS/ZETA; each operating system front-end is built using native widget toolkits.
An unofficial port of Transmission using a command-line interface on the iPhone OS was accomplished on March 3, 2008. Transmission is available for Android, with the name of Transdroid as a remote controlling console (not downloading torrents onto the phone).
Version 0.6.1 of Transmission did not strictly adhere to the complete BitTorrent specification. This resulted in the blocking of that version from many private trackers. This issue was fixed in April 2007 by the release of 0.7.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Transmission — About". transmissionbt.com. 2009. http://www.transmissionbt.com/about.php. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- ↑ http://pastehtml.com/view/091108Kw3uDGmn.html
- ↑ http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2096
- ↑ http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/1731
- ↑ http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7617
- ↑ http://trac.transmissionbt.com/changeset/9549
- ↑ http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?p=22905#22905
- ↑ http://wickedpsyched.net/iphone/torrent
- ↑ http://code.google.com/p/transmission-remote-dotnet/
- ↑ http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/
- ↑ http://www.sb-innovation.de/f93/transmission-1-76-windows-17975/
- ↑ Pitt, Martin (2008-01-14). "Ubuntu Changelog" (in en). http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/u/ubuntu-meta/ubuntu-meta_1.87/changelog. Retrieved 2008-05-15.
- ↑ "New default applications for GNOME". http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_RC_1#New_default_applications_for_GNOME.
- ↑ "Elyssa Release Notes". http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa.php.
- ↑ "Distribution/Download/BitTorrent" (in en). http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download/BitTorrent.
- ↑ "Puppy Linux 4.2 Release Notes". http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/development/puppy-4-series/puppy-linux-42-release-notes.
- ↑ "Release Notes - CrunchBang Linux 9.04.01". http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/release-notes/9.04.01.
- ↑ "Zenwalk Package List". http://packages.zenwalk.org/?b=/xap&zversion=snapshot.
- ↑ "Make Transmission the default BitTorrent client in 11.2". https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=530416.
- ↑ "FON Starts Selling Fonera 2.0n Router with Transmission". http://www.shareconnector.com/fon-starts-selling-fonera-20n-router-with-transmission-rapidshare-support.
|File:Commons-logo.svg||Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Transmission (BitTorrent)|
ca:Transmission de:Transmission (BitTorrent) es:Transmission (BitTorrent) fr:Transmission (logiciel) it:Transmission nl:Transmission (software) ja:Transmission no:Transmission pl:Transmission pt:Transmission ru:Transmission fi:Transmission sv:Transmission (datorprogram) vi:Transmission (BitTorrent) zh:Transmission