From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Slogan||Define Your World|
|Type of site||Slang dictionary|
|Registration||Required only for editing|
|Created by||Aaron Peckham|
Urban Dictionary is a Web-based dictionary of slang words and phrases. As of 2009, the site contains over four million definitions. Submissions are regulated by volunteer editors and rated by site visitors.
The site was founded in 1999 by Aaron Peckham while he was a freshman computer science major at California Polytechnic State University. One of the first definitions on the site was, "the man", referring to, "the head of the establishment put in place to 'bring us down.'”
The definitions on Urban Dictionary are meant to be those of slang or subculture words, phrases, and phenomena not found in standard dictionaries. Most words have multiple definitions, usage examples, and tags.
Racist, homophobic or sexist terms are acceptable as long as their definitions only document the use of such slurs and are not themselves abusive. Site guidelines recommend submitters and volunteer editors shun definitions that include in-jokes, personal references, non-celebrities, nonsense, advertisements, or descriptions of sexual violence.
| This section does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (June 2009)
Quality is regulated democratically at two levels. First, registered users vote to accept or reject newly submitted definitions. Definitions appear in the dictionary after receiving a sufficient differential of "accept" over "reject" votes.
Secondly, definitions already in the dictionary can be voted "up" or "down" by any site visitor. The definitions appear in "descending order" of highest gross votes.
Traffic and users
As of April 2009, Urban Dictionary has over 4 million definitions, with an average of 2,000 being submitted every day. The site receives approximately 15 million unique visitors per month, with 80% of users being younger than 25. Urban Dictionary's Alexa rating is 653, with a rating of 291 in the United States and 18,881 sites linking in.
- Peckham, Aaron (2005). Urban dictionary: fularious street slang defined. Kansas City, Missouri: Andrews McMeel Publishing, L.L.C.. pp. 320. ISBN 0-7407-5143-3. http://books.google.com/books?id=49wFXyb35goC&printsec=frontcover&dq=urban+dictionary&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- Peckham, Aaron (2007). Mo' Urban Dictionary: Ridonkulous Street Slang Defined. Kansas City, Missouri: Andrews McMeel Publishing, L.L.C.. pp. 240. ISBN 0-7407-6875-1. http://books.google.com/books?id=u27ferHysRMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Mo+Urban+Dictionary&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- ↑ "50 Best Web Sites - Podcast". TIME. http://www.time.com/time/podcast/2008/50_best_websites/. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ↑ "Urban Dictionary - 50 Best Websites 2008". TIME. http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1809858_1809955_1811527,00.html. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Heffernan, Virginia (July 1, 2009). "Street Smart: Urban Dictionary". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/magazine/05FOB-medium-t.html. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- ↑ "Alexa: Urbandictionary.com". Alexa Internet. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/urbandictionary.com. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
es:Diccionario Urban fr:Urban Dictionary ko:어번 딕셔너리 hr:Urban Dictionary it:Urban Dictionary no:Urbandictionary.com pt:Dicionário inFormal fi:Urban Dictionary sv:Urban Dictionary th:เออร์เบินดิกชันแนรี