From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Founded||New York (July 1, 2003)|
|Headquarters||New York, New York, United States|
|Key people||Marc Cenedella, CEO, Founder and Chairman|
|Industry||Job Search Engine|
TheLadders.com is a privately held United States headquartered company offering online job search and recruitment services, claimed and marketed for positions with base salaries of $100,000 or more. The company operates its primary consumer destination at www.theladders.com as well as specialized job search engines for Sales, Marketing, Finance, Human Resources, Law, Technology, and Operations positions. For corporate and executive recruiters, TheLadders.com operates RecruitLadder, enabling them to easily post and manage job openings.
In 2007, TheLadders.com also launched TheLadders.co.uk to provide online job search and recruitment services to the United Kingdom. TheLadders.com headquarters are located in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City; the company also holds offices in London.
Marc Cenedella started TheLadders.com in July 2003 to fill a gap in the world of online recruitment and high-end employment. As the Senior Vice President of Finance and Operations at HotJobs.com, Cenedella saw that, while large job boards worked well for entry and mid-level candidates, high-level job searches were not being conducted efficiently online. Job seekers were frustrated, while recruiters often elected not to post their executive opportunities online at all.
Cenedella's solution to this dilemma was a reverse business model that catered to the high-end job seeker. After orchestrating the $436 million sale of HotJobs.com to Yahoo!, Cenedella started SalesLadder.com, the first in the family of industry-focused websites exclusive to the $100K+ job market, from his living room. He purchased several programming books, scouted out some job opportunities, and started sending a personalized newsletter to a small group of friends, contacts and, eventually, subscribers. Since then, the company has experienced strong growth, and has been recognized as the fastest-growing start up on the East Coast  and the most valuable digital start up in New York City.
Operations and business model
TheLadders.com is headquartered in New York, with offices in London. Job seekers pay a subscription fee ($30 per month) to access screened $100K+ postings in their field. This segmentation is designed to give professionals a focused job search by level and industry. It also serves as a self-selection criteria to ensure that members to the site are invested in their job search, and have an earning potential of $100K+. Along with membership, job seekers also have access to a database of pre-screened recruiters. The site facilitates connections and introductions between job seekers and recruiters.
When TheLadders.com first launched, employers were able to post openings at no charge. However, as the company evolved, TheLadders.com moved toward a subscription service for employers and executive recruiters as well (with annual subscriptions starting at $6000). Though the company faced criticism from some customers and industry experts for “double dipping”, charging for job postings and access to the candidate database has allowed the company to offer a more robust enterprise product with additional features and services. TheLadders’ business model was recently reviewed and noted in a case study published by Harvard Business School.
Business Lines and Services
TheLadders.com currently operates four business lines.
- $100K+ Job Seekers: The first and core business line, TheLadders.com for job seekers offers job listings, recruiter contacts, and career services for professionals with $100K+ earning potential. With over 2,000,000 members, TheLadders.com lists over 90,000 job listings each month. Further, each job listing is hand-screened to ensure that it meets the $100K+ benchmark compensation level. TheLadders offers job search technology to allow job seekers to drill down listings to find jobs in their location, industry, and employment sector. Job seekers are also able to post a resume to the site, to be found and contacted by recruiters. All recruiters in TheLadders.com database are also pre-screened for quality assurance. TheLadders.com also offers job seekers expert Career Advice, about topics like job search, interviewing, networking, personal branding, resume, and salary.
- Executive Resume Services: TheLadders.com offers job seekers access to premium resume writing services including free resume critiques, resume rewrites, cover letters, and other job application documents, as well as job preparation and interview coaching processes.
- RecruitLadder Enterprise: RecruitLadder offers online recruitment services to corporate hiring managers and recruiters. To date, RecruitLadder numbers over 40,000 users. RecruitLadder allows executive recruiters, headhunters, and corporate hiring managers to post $100K+ jobs to a targeted audience, as well as search a database of pre-qualified $100K+ professionals. Recruiters can view resumes of potential candidates and contact them directly through the website to streamline the online sourcing and recruiting process.
- TheLadders.co.uk: TheLadders.com’s newest business unit, mirroring all services offered in the United States, including resume, executive job seeker, and recruiter services for the UK £50K+ market.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/04/technology/04ecom.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=TheLadders.com&st=cse&oref=slogin
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-9523350_ITM
- ↑ http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2005/12/01/8364608/index.htm
- ↑ http://www.businessinsider.com/sai25
- ↑ http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1865948,00.html
- ↑ http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/classifieds/news/jobcenter/careeradvice/stories/DN-jobsearch_26emp.ART.State.Edition1.423d57f.html
- ↑ http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050601/pricing_pagen_2.html
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 http://www.marketingshift.com/2008/9/ladders-separates-pretenders-from-contendors_9047.cfm
- ↑ http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/TheJobsBlog/45264
- ↑ http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS177784+23-Jun-2008+BW20080623
- ↑ http://www.allbusiness.com/services/business-services/4519323-1.html