From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article is an orphan, as few or no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions are available. (February 2009)|
|Founder(s)||Jacques-Antoine Granjon (CEO) - Xavier Court - Claude Sorbac - Julien Sorbac - Michaël Benabou - Eléonore Sabates - Ilan Benhaïm Philippe Naggar|
|Headquarters||La Plaine Saint Denis – Paris, France|
|Key people||Jacques-Antoine Granjon (CEO)|
|Industry||E-commerce / online sales events|
|Revenue||491 million GBP (2008)|
|Employees||More than 1000 (July 2009) – 1150 planned by the end of 2009|
vente-privee.com deals in the concept of online retailing. The company was developed in an online environment to host sales of designer brands for members, with reduced prices. These sales include a diverse selection of product categories: fashion, accessories, toys, watches, home appliances, sports equipment, technology and wines.
vente-privee.com was founded in 2001 by the current CEO, Jacques-Antoine Granjon, and his seven business partners. Jacques-Antoine Granjon founded his first company after graduating from the EBS (European Business School) in 1985. He moved to Paris and entered the end of line distribution industry. At the end of 2000 Jacques-Antoine Granjon and his associates began to conceptualise the sale of end of season stock through limited-time sales events on the internet. The principle was to fulfil supplier’s needs to quickly sell excess stock, without harming the brand’s image or competing with other distribution channels. The www.vente-privee.com website was launched in 2001. The first three years were a period of investment and development. The growth period began in 2004. In July 2007 the American private equity firm Summit Partners acquired a 20% stake of vente-privee.com with a view to supporting the company’s international development. vente-privee.com has currently operations in France, Spain, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom.
vente-privee.com employs more than 1000 people (July 2009).
700 employees are based in the old printing factory of the French daily newspaper Le Monde, in La Plaine Saint Denis (Paris):
- A production team of designers (video and sound engineers, photographers, hair and makeup stylists, photo editors, web designers), IT specialists and sales coordinators
- An internal European customer services team who responds by email to member enquiries. The company also has external call centres based in Lille for operations in France, Barcelona for Spain, Frankfurt for Germany, Milan for Italy and Richmond (Greater London) for the UK.
The vente-privee.com concept is the organisation of designer brand sales events over a limited period of time (typically 2-4 days), available to members.
How it works
Registration with vente-privee.com is free of charge and does not entail an obligation to buy. 48 hours before a sale takes place, an invitation email is sent to all vente-privee.com members. Sales usually start at 6 am GMT on weekdays, and 8 am GMT on weekends, and last for 2 to 4 days. When a sale has ended vente-privee.com places an order with the brand partner. When delivered, this is packed, labelled and delivered to members who participated in the sale. Members are also able to cancel their orders or return items, depending on local laws.
160,000 members since launching in the UK (September 2008)
8 million members in Europe
3.9 million customers
6 million unique visitors per month (source: Médiametrie//Net Ratings, French Panel)
53 million hits per month
An average 34 minutes spent on the site per month per person (source: Médiametrie//Net Ratings, French Panel)
742 million pages viewed per month, i.e. 127 pages viewed per person (source: Médiametrie//Net Ratings, French Panel)
1250 sales in 2008 (1800 forecasted for 2009, 180 in the UK)
28 million products sold in 2008
491 million GBP revenue in 2008 (557 million GBP forecast for 2009)
More than 1000 employees in July 2009, of which 25 British (250 new employees planned for 2009)
- Jacques-Antoine Granjon is nominated “Entrepreneur of the Year”, during the BFM Awards, organised by BFM, financial radio and TV media,
- vente-privee.com wins the Year Innovation prize in the “Distance Selling/E-commerce” category at the LSA (Libre Service Actualité) Magazine Awards.
- 2007 Jacques-Antoine Granjon was voted 'E-Commerce Business man of the year' (Awarded by E-commerce Magazine 2007),
- During the Favor’i ceremony celebrating the 50th anniversary of FEVAD (French Federation of Mail Order Companies), Jacques-Antoine Granjon won the 'Favor’i d’Honneur' award recognising him as the most influential Distance Selling Businessman of the last 50 years. The website was also rewarded for being 'The Internet user’s Favor’i for exclusive online sales'
- vente-privee.com received the jury’s special award for the strongest growth of a European company founded within the last 10 years 'The Changing Times Award Audemars-Piguet'.
- Second nomination for 'Best e-commerce website in terms of customer satisfaction.'
- 'Innovation prize for the best French e-commerce website' and nomination for 'Best e-commerce website in terms of customer satisfaction' (Baromètre Direct Panel).
Notes and references
- ↑ vente-privee.com case study
- ↑ (fr) BFM Awards
- ↑ (fr) LSA Year Innovation Prize
- ↑ (fr) Favor’i for e-commerce 2007
- ↑ (fr) Favor’i d’Honneur
- ↑ (fr) Favor’i for internet users,
- ↑ Baromètre Direct Panel
- ↑ 01.net
(en) James Hall, 27 July 2009, "Luxury websites sees cut-price sales leap", The Daily Telegraph
(en) Zoe Wood, 12 February 2009, "mouse meets catwalk as online fashion retailer reports 46% sales lift", The Guardian, http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/feb/12/websites-online-fashion-retailers
(en) Ana Santi, 12 February 2009, "Vente-privee see 46% sales rise", Drapers, http://www.drapersonline.com/news/other-sectors/multi-channel/vente-privee-see-46-sales-rise/5000695.article
(en) Lisa Berwin, 26 September 2008, "VentePrivee targets sales of €500m with UK web debut", Retail Week
(fr) Hedwige Chevrillon, 24 July 2009, La saga Jacques-Antoine Granjon, Les sagas du pouvoir, BFM Radio
(fr) Gaelle Macke, 5-11 February 2009, Portrait. Jacques-Antoine Granjon, PDG de Vente-Privée.com, Challenges
(fr) Enguérand Renault, 24-25 January 2009, Vente-privee.com met en scène les marques, Le Figaro Economie
(fr) Pascal Rosier, May 2008, Jacques-Antoine Granjon, gourou d'une nouvelle forme de distribution. Il décline vente-privée en Europe, Entreprendre
(de) Christian Schubert, 14 January 2008, Nur für Mitglieder, FAZ, no. 11, page 16
(de) Eli Hamacher, 3 December 2007, Exklusive Resterampe, Prime Time, page 15
(de) Bea Gottschlich, 23 August 2007, Die Resterampe der Zukunft, TextilWirtschaft, no. 34
(es) Alicia Velasco, 8 June 2008, Conectados al shopping, Magazine de El Mundo, page 20
(es) Paula Tena, 19 November 2007, Una historia de éxito: la venta privada en Internet del ‘stock’ de las marcas, El Economista
(es) Pedro Zozaya, 14 May 2008, Todos ganan, Vogue
(it) Carlo Bocchialini, 17 July 2008, Vestiti: navighiamo, A (Anna), no.28, page 84-85
(it) Enrica Roddolo, 25 April 2008, Shopping su invito purché online, Il Mondo, page 91-92
(it) Antonella Matarrese, 3 April 2008, Il mio showroom è sul web: vendo lusso e pezzi unici, Panorama, page 262