Visual programming language
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
A visual programming language (VPL) is any programming language that lets users create programs by manipulating program elements graphically rather than by specifying them textually (also known as diagrammatic programming ). A VPL allows programming with visual expressions, spatial arrangements of text and graphic symbols, used either as elements of syntax or secondary notation. Many VPLs are based on the idea of "boxes and arrows," where boxes or other screen objects are treated as entities, connected by arrows, lines or arcs which represent relations.
VPLs may be further classified, according to the type and extent of visual expression used, into icon-based languages, form-based languages, and diagram languages. Visual programming environments provide graphical or iconic elements which can be manipulated by users in an interactive way according to some specific spatial grammar for program construction.
A visually transformed language is a non-visual language with a superimposed visual representation. Naturally visual languages have an inherent visual expression for which there is no obvious textual equivalent.
Current developments try to integrate the visual programming approach with dataflow programming languages to either have immediate access to the program state resulting in online debugging or automatic program generation and documentation (i.e. visual paradigm). Dataflow languages also allow automatic parallelization, which is likely to become one of the greatest programming challenges of the future.
- A-Flow, software general-purpose rapid development tool that doesn't require writing code
- AgentSheets, easy to use game authoring and computational science authoring tool
- AppWare, also known as MicroBrew, icon based programming for Mac OS and Microsoft Windows
- AudioMulch, an audio signal flow based sound and music creation environment
- Automate, a workflow building tool with writing any line of code by hand.
- Macromedia Authorware
- Aviary Peacock, browser based visual laboratory
- Befunge, an esoteric text-based programming language in which commands are laid out graphically in a text file.
- BT Rules, a web-based graphical programming tool with specialised tilesets to define behaviours for different devices.
- DRAKON, a language designed for developing the Soviet Buran (spacecraft)
- EICASLAB, a software suite including a graphical language for supporting the design of control architectures
- Executable UML, a profile of the Universal Modeling Language specification defining an executable semantics for a subset of UML.
- eXpecco, a graphical flow based language and IDE for test automation
- Flow-based programming
- Flowcode, a language used by KTechlab (software) A Opensource simulator and workbench for the programming of microcontrollers using flowcode
- Function block diagrams, used in Programmable logic controllers.
- FxEngine Framework - Open C++ dataflow programming for audio, video, signal, ...
- G, the language based on Data flow diagrams used in the LabVIEW development environment.
- Game Maker , an easy to use game development software made by Mark Overmars
- Kwikpoint, an isotype visual translator created by Alan Stillman
- LabVIEW, a graphical language designed for engineers and scientists.
- Ladder logic, a language that simulates relay logic commonly used in Programmable logic controllers
- Lily, browser based visual programming environment
- Marten commercial visual programming environment for Mac OS/X based on Prograph CPX
- Max (software), visual programming environment for building interactive, real-time music and multimedia applications
- Microsoft Visual Programming Language, dataflow language for Robotics programming that is a component of Microsoft Robotics Studio
- Mindscript - A simplistic data-flow programming language for multipurpose use
- Morphic (software), aims to make it easy to construct and edit graphical objects both by direct manipulation and from within programs. The entire Self (software) programming environment is constructed using Morphic.
- MST Workshop, an interactive visual programming language for creating mathematical solutions, rapid prototyping, two-dimensional and three-dimensional graphic applications
- OpenDX scientific data visualization using a visual programming language and data flow model
- OpenMusic, a visual programming language for music composition (based on CLOS) applications, and mobile apllications
- OpenWire - adds visual dataflow programming capabilities to Delphi via VCL components and a graphical editor (homonymous binary protocol is unrelated)
- OutSystems language, a visual programming language web-based and for process centric business applications
- PointDragon, a visual programming language for cloud computing offered by GraphLogic.
- Pypes, a Flow-based programming implementation by Eric Gaumer using Stackless Python
- Quartz Composer, a language for processing and rendering graphical data (MaxOS X)
- Quest3D, a 3D engine/platform for virtual reality based development (Win)
- Reaktor, a DSP and MIDI-processing language by Native Instruments
- Scala Multimedia Authoring suite and complete multimedia system for AmigaOS and Windows
- Scicos A graphical language associated with the numerical analysis package ScicosLab (originaly SciLab).
- Built on Squeak
- Sequential function chart, a Petri-net like programming language for Programmable logic controllers
- Stagecast Creator, formerly Apple's Cocoa
- SourceBinder, a node based visual development environment for Flash 10+
- SynthMaker, an audio programming tool using a visual programming language
- SynthEdit, a tool similar to SynthMaker
- TestShell, a graphical test automation environment
- VISION/HPC Python-based, drag-and-drop visual-programming environment for programming HPCs
- WireFusion, a visual programming environment for creating interactive 3D web presentations.
- Vsxu, music visual / real time 3D graphics generation (Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac Os X)
- vvvv, real time video synthesis
- XEE, a visual data processing language for ETL tasks
- X-Gen, a visual financial enterprise application integration for financial messaging and workflow (www.swissrisk.com)
Note: Microsoft Visual Studio and the languages it encompasses (Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual J#, etc.) are commonly confused to be but are not visual programming languages. All of these languages are textual and not graphical. MS Visual Studio is a visual programming environment, but not a visual programming language hence the confusion.
- Dataflow programming
- Domain-Specific Modeling
- Flow-based programming
- Unified Modeling Language
- Deutsch Limit
- Widget Workshop
Notes and references
- ↑ Johnston, W.M.; Hanna, J.R.P. and Millar, R.J. (2004). "Advances in dataflow programming languages" (PDF). ACM Computing Surveys 36 (1): 1–34. doi:10.1145/1013208.1013209. http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~rsass/rcreading/johnston04.pdf. Retrieved 2007-03-31.
- ↑ Steven Allen Gold, David Marvin Baker, Vladimir Gusev, Hongping Liang. Object process graph system, US Patent number 7316001, Filing date: May 20, 2005, Issue date: Jan 1, 2008.
|File:HelloWorld.svg||This programming language-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|