From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Original author(s)||Voddler, Inc.|
|Initial release||July 1, 2009|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS X (Intel only)|
|License||GPL front-end, and proprietary back-end/client-server|
Voddler is a commercial online 'movies' and 'TV show' video on demand streaming entertainment service and accompanying software application with media player software used to distribute full-length movies to any computer, using a patented hybrid peer-to-peer TV technology. The service and its interactive media player software allow registered users to search and stream movies and TV shows.
Voddler's concept is similar to Amazon Video on Demand, Vudu, Headweb, Spotify, and Grooveshark, but only for videos, and with its software application 10-foot user interface is primarily designed for the living-room TV instead of a desktop computer interface, much like the graphical user interface of Boxee. The program/service in its advertisement-financed version is currently only available in parts of western Europe during the ongoing beta version program, although the subscription model should in the future be available in almost all countries.
Voddler currently have confirmed deals to carry content from Noble Entertainment, Scanbox Entertainment, Non-Stop Entertainment, Film-Factory, Paramount Pictures and The Walt Disney Company, this includes subsidiary companies such as Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Films from Disney and also Dreamworks Studios from Paramount. Voddler have also announced that they have also signed an agreement to carry content from Sony Pictures Television, including subsidiary companies of Sony Pictures such as Screen Gems, Columbia Pictures Television, TriStar Television, Columbia TriStar Television, and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM).
Movies that are new or popular will only be made available through subscription or pay-per-view, while older and less popular movies can be seen for free with advertisements. A few movies will also be made available at the same time as the premiere.
Similar to Boxee, Voddler's media player software, called "Voddler Player" is based on the GPL licensed source code of XBMC Media Center, a free and open source software, which GUI interface Voddler uses as its application framework for the media player on the client side.
The network client ("VNetManager" background deamon / service) function is however a separate application and it uses closed source proprietary code from Voddler so it wll not be released under an open source license, and the same goes for the back-end server application.
Source Code Copyright Violation Concerns
In late November 2009, concerns were raised by Voddler users as to whether Voddler was in violation of the GPL license by incorporating parts of XBMC Media Center and FFmpeg source code into their client software but not providing all of the Voddler source code needed to compile the Voddler player executable. December 21st 2009, Voddler made an official reply stating that they will comply and provide all of the requested source code, however so far they have still not done so, and developers from XBMC Media Center say that they have several times tried to contact Voddler without success.
Movie Delivery and Storage
Similar to that of Vudu's hybrid peer-to-peer TV and P2P-Next technologies. The Voddler player connects to a user’s home broadband Internet connection to deliver movies, users select the movie that they want to watch then a few advertisements clips start to play before the selected movie starts playing. The first couple of seconds of every movie within the catalog is loaded onto the hard disk drive of the computer that the user is running the Voddler player on, ensuring instant playback when the user chooses to watch a given film. The remainder of the movie is delivered to the client via an exclusive peer-to-peer network with each Voddler player serving movie content to other boxes within the network. This process begins instantaneously while the user views the loaded portion of the movie, allowing for seamless viewing. The movie then finishes downloading to the users hard disk drive. Users are not yet able to set the amount of internet bandwidth the client uses, this is instead determined by the Voddler client automatically and the quality of the movies develivered depends on the users internet bandwidth. Movies and advertisements clips are cached and stored locally on the user hard disk drive, and the Voddler client will store up to 13GB of movies on the users harddrive..
|Type||Private VC-backed startup|
|Services||Video Content Delivery|
Voddler, Inc. is a Swedish media technology company responsible for the development of the Voddler service and accompanying software application. Backed by funding from the Swedish venture capital company Deseven, Voddler, Inc. is a privately held startup company with offices in Stockholm, Palo Alto, and Beijing.
- Vudu, a competing peer-to-peer technology service to distribute full-length movies to any television.
- Amazon VOD, another competing internet video on demand service which offers television shows and films for rental and purchase.
- LOVEFiLM, another competing internet video on demand service for movies.
- Netflix (Watch Instantly Service), another competing internet video on demand service.
- Headweb, another competing similar internet video on demand service.
- Spotify, a similar peer-to-peer technology service but for music instead of videos.
- Grooveshark, a similar peer-to-peer technology service but for music instead of videos.
- Hulu, has similar business related goals. Only available in the US.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Voddler (2009-07-21). "Voddler FAQ". Voddler.com. http://blog.voddler.com/?p=17.
- ↑ Nicholas Mead (2009-07-21). "Exclusive interview with Voddler’s co-founder". SOFTONIC INTERNATIONAL S.L.. http://en.onsoftware.com/exclusive-interview-with-voddlers-co-founder/.
- ↑ Liz Gannes (2009-09-01). "Voddler Riding Hype as Spotify for Video". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/2009/09/01/01gigaom-voddler-riding-hype-as-spotify-for-video-69851.html.
- ↑ Pingdom (2009-08-28). "Spotify and Voddler: Hot Swedish companies prepared to take streaming to new heights". Royal Pingdom. http://royal.pingdom.com/2009/08/28/spotify-and-voddler-hot-swedish-companies-prepared-to-take-streaming-to-new-heights/.
- ↑ Peter Pettersson (2009-07-27). "Svensk gratistjänst erbjuder tv på nätet" (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. http://www.aftonbladet.se/pryl/article5567221.ab.
- ↑ Jonka Tekijä (2010-01-04). "Voddler: the Spotify of movies". Serial Creative Director. http://www.serialcreativedirector.com/blog/10/voddler-spotify-of-movies.
- ↑ "Voddler announces agreements with major Hollywood companies...". MyNewsdesk. 2009-10-28. http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressroom/voddler/pressrelease/view/voddler-announces-agreements-with-major-hollywood-companies-opens-the-door-to-hundreds-of-thousands-of-new-users-and-offers-a-unique-type-of-film-334780. Retrieved 2009-11-01.
- ↑ "Voddler and Sony Picture Television signs agreement". Voddler Blog. 2009-12-18. http://blog.voddler.com/?p=328. Retrieved 2009-12-19.
- ↑ Aron Andersson (2009-07-21). "Så ska Voddler bli ett Spotify för filmvärlden" (in Swedish). Metro. http://www.metro.se/2009/08/21/46977/sa-ska-voddler-bli-ett-spotify-for-fi/.
- ↑ "Yes, we have built the player with xbmc as a foundation.". xbmc.org. 2009-07-27. http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55246&page=2. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- ↑ "Voddler använder XBMC (Uppdaterad!)" (in Swedish). xbmc.nu. 2009-07-02. http://www.xbmc.nu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:voddler-anvaender-xbmc. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- ↑ Daniel Goldberg (2009-07-01). "Premiär för ny svensk filmtjänst" (in Swedish). Computer Sweden. http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.238079/premiar-for-ny-svensk-filmtjanst.
- ↑ Bredbandsbolaget (2009-07-01). "Bredbandsbolaget Voddler Beta Kampanj" (in Swedish). Bredbandsbolaget. http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/wps/portal/privat/bredband?page=new&WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/kampanjer/voddler.
- ↑ "Boxee: Thinking inside the box". Guardian. 2009-10-07. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/07/boxee-web-video-software.
- ↑ "voddler.com is in violation of GPL". http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2009-October/077547.html. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- ↑ Andersson, Niklas (2009-12-18). "Förbannade Voddlare vill se koden" (in Swedish). Computer Sweden. http://computersweden.idg.se/2.2683/1.280639/forbannade-voddlare-vill-se-koden. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- ↑ "GPL and VoddlerPlayer.exe". http://getsatisfaction.com/voddler/topics/gpl_and_voddlerplayer_exe. Retrieved 2009-12-21.
- ↑ "Running voddler from compiled source". http://getsatisfaction.com/voddler/topics/running_voddler_from_compiled_source. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ↑ "Reply from XBMC developer in official XBMC Community Forum". http://xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=474680&postcount=21. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ↑ "Push-Pull Based Content Delivery System (Voddler Software Patent)". freepatentsonline.com. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2008/0059631.html. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- ↑ Richard Skalsky (a.k.a. GrandAnse) (2009-08-06). "Exklusivt: Voddler och tekniken" (in Swedish). xbmc.nu. http://www.xbmc.nu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184:exklusivt-voddler-och-tekniken&catid=49:voddler-allmaent&Itemid=2.
- ↑ Voddler). "Exklusivt: Voddler Voddler FAQ". voddler.com. http://www.voddler.com/help. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- ↑ Daniel Goldberg (2010-01-11). "Han ska styra upp Voddler" (in Swedish). IDG.se. http://www.allabolag.se/5567111785.
- ↑ ecoustics.com (2007-04-13). "Voddler Announces Global TV-On-Demand Service". ecoustics.com. http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/346311.html.
- ↑ allabolag.se (2009-07-17). "Voddler Sweden AB" (in Swedish). allabolag.se. http://www.allabolag.se/5567111785.
- ↑ TradeVibes (2008-09-15). "Voddler Overview". Mill River Labs. http://www.tradevibes.com/company/profile/voddler.
- Voddler Official Website
- Voddler Official Blog
- Voddler Official Community Support offered at GetSatisfaction.comsv:Voddler