From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article may not meet the notability guideline for web content. Please help to establish notability by adding reliable, secondary sources about the topic. If notability cannot be established, the article is likely to be merged, redirected, or deleted. (January 2010)|
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations of additional sources. (January 2010)|
Logo and main page screenshot
|Type of site||Wiki, database|
|Registration||not possible on site|
|Launched||March 20, 2006|
Wikitruth is a website critical of the online encyclopedia project Wikipedia. Self-described as a "scandal sheet", it was created on March 20, 2006, and its final posting – a farewell notice announcing the mothballing of the site – was put up on February 5, 2009.
The site argues that there are fundamental problems with the structure of Wikipedia. It highlights the reported actions and statements of prominent Wikimedia Foundation members, such as Jimmy Wales, and probes the concepts of vandalism, censorship of articles on Wikipedia, and other aspects of the Wikipedia culture.
Contributors and software
In a posting dated December 22, 2006, a Wikitruth story stated that then-current Wikipedia administrators did contribute to Wikitruth and that "some exhibits we have here can only be done by Wikipedia administrators." 
Wikitruth ran its site on the MediaWiki software, but readers could contact the editors only through e-mail; Wikitruth also promised to contact Wikipedia editors who placed the words TELL THE WIKITRUTH in Wikipedia articles or discussion pages.
The first major media attention to Wikitruth was given on April 13, 2006, in an article in the British general-interest newspaper The Guardian by Andrew Orlowski, the San Francisco bureau chief for The Register, a British technology news and opinion website.
- Wikipedia Review, an Internet forum for the discussion of Wikimedia projects
- ↑ "Goodbye - Wikitruth". Wikitruth. http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Goodbye. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- ↑ "Jimbo Calls Us A Hoax". Wikitruth. http://wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Jimbo_Calls_Us_A_Hoax. Retrieved 2006-04-17.
- ↑ "Ha Ha you're using MediaWiki software". Wikitruth. http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Frequently_Whined_Questions#Ha_Ha_you.27re_using_MediaWiki_software. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- ↑ Wikitruth:Magic Incantation
- ↑ Andrew Orlowski (2006-04-13). "A thirst for knowledge". The Guardian. http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,1752257,00.html. Retrieved 2006-04-17.