From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
WordWeb (Free Version) 6 for Windows
|Stable release||6 / 2009|
|Written in||Object Pascal (Delphi)|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|License||Free subject to license|
|Website||WordWeb web site|
The program is activated by holding down CTRL and right-clicking on a word in almost any program. This opens the WordWeb main window, with definitions and other help.
The program usually resides in the tray, and has a low system footprint.
- Phrase guessing - for example, CTRL + right-clicking on the 'Princeton' in 'Princeton University' will show the meaning of the combined entity rather than only 'Princeton'.
- Words from pictures - CTRL + right-clicking on a word within an image (for example, the 'Free' in the Wikipedia logo) will ask WordWeb to guess the word. (Note that right-clicking 'Encyclopedia' in the same logo returns 'Emyrlnpewa').
The thesaurus is integrated into the dictionary; synonyms, as well as detailed categorization of the relationship between words, are shown under the definition. The program shows:
- type of ('daisy' is listed as a type of 'flower')
- types ('play' lists several sub-types of play, including 'passion play')
- parts (under 'forest', listed parts include 'tree' and 'underbrush')
- part of ('bumper' is a part of a 'car', 'truck', or 'machine')
- similar (words that are not synonyms, but nearby; 'big is listed as similar to 'huge')
Users can also actively improve the dictionary and thesaurus by submitting errors (such as missing words/phrases/senses) and enhancement requests.
The program has two versions: free (which does not have the word list, search, anagram, or customization features), and a paid 'WordWeb Pro'.
WordWeb 5 added the ability to list entries from three web sources: Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and WordWeb Online. These details are presented in three separate tabs, which are built into the client application. Version 6 added audio pronunciations and support for third-party Oxford and Chambers add-on dictionaries.
Use of the free version is subject to license terms. However, it might be used by an educational institution (free of cost) for their students, even if they violate said terms.
|File:System-installer.svg||This computer software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|