Programmer's File Editor
From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
Development of Programmer's File Editor ceased in 1999, but the program is still in use by some programmers.
Strengths of the editor include:
- easy macro recorder and editor; macros can be saved and assembled into "libraries"
- line breaks, tabs, and other special characters allowed in search and replace
- file type recognition
- using batch files to perform compilation tasks from within the editor
- Customizable screen display; display and other characteristics can be set for specific file types, both pre-fab and user determined
- Multiple document interface (MDI) with tiling and minimizing supported
- Keyboard remapping
Weaknesses of the editor include:
- unique default keyboard shortcuts for search and replace (F2 for search, Shift-F2 for repeat search, F3 for search and replace)
- Tends to lock up when opening unusually long files, or files with excessively long lines (above 16k characters)
- Lack of Unicode support (although this does mean that the characters shown are an accurate representation of the file's actual bytes).