From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|Type of site||Web portal|
Timway (simplified Chinese: 添达; traditional Chinese: 添達; pinyin: Tiān Dá) is a web portal and directory primarily serving Hong Kong. It is designed for searching web sites in Hong Kong. The web sites in each category are sorted according to their popularity and freshness instead of alphabetical order. Timway supports web search query in English and Chinese, and indexes web pages in both languages. It was founded by Tim Yu. Its primary business is the sale of advertising on the Timway.com search portal. It cooperates with Yahoo for the search engine marketing business. Also, a range of Internet services are also provided including discussion forum, news and education courses.
The former domain name of Timway was hksrch.com. It was created in July 1997. The creation of it was because Tim Yu like reading very much and he found that making a web site for easier information retrieval would help a lot for getting useful information. A Hong Kong registered company was registered in February 1998. It started its searchable directory in Hong Kong earlier than Yahoo Hong Kong  which marked a milestone in the developments of HK search portal business. The domain name of timway.com was used instead in 1999. Sina.com.hk also used Timway in addition to Google for finding HK webpages.
To increase more revenue, Education portal was established in the year of 2000. A wide range of education courses are supplied. The cooperation with tens of education providers makes it an education supermarket, thus finding education courses becomes convenient.
Few academic studies examined user information seeking behavior when using non-English search engine and Timway is one of the few contributed to this.
Starting in 2005, Timway appointed Professor Michael Chau as the senior technology advisor.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Chinese University Alumni Magazine - December2000". http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alumni.cuhk.edu.hk%2Fmagazine%2F200012%2Fhtml%2Fp46-47.htm&date=2009-03-24. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- ↑ Chau, M., Fang, X., & Yang, C.C. (2007). "Web Searching in Chinese: A Study of a Search Engine in Hong Kong." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 58(7), 1044-1054.
- ↑ "Shaw Net - Shaw College Annual Mentorship Programme and Alumni Career Talk 2005". http://www.webcitation.org/5fW9HnELR. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- ↑ "雅虎搜尋推廣服務". http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhk.searchmarketing.yahoo.com%2Fnewcustomers%2Fserviceintro%2Fa3.html&date=2009-03-24. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 About Timway
- ↑ "Yahoo! 初學者入門". http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fhk.yahoo.com%2Fbeginner%2Fyhk.html&date=2009-03-24. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- ↑ "新浪網 - 廣告服務". http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fads.sina.com.hk%2Fsinahk.html&date=2009-03-24. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- ↑ Timway Education
- ↑ "Adobe 成功案例". http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/showcase/index.cfm?event=casestudydetail&casestudyid=16601&loc=zh_cn. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- ↑ Chau, M., Lu, Y., Fang, X., and Yang, C. C., "Characteristics of Character Usage in Chinese Web Searching," Information Processing and Management, 45, 115-130, 2009.
- ↑ "Michael Chau Professional Experience". http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fbe.hku.hk%2F%7Emchau%2Fcv.html&date=2009-03-25. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- ↑ "Alexa - top Sites: Hong Kong". http://www.webcitation.org/5fWF37YuK. Retrieved 2009-03-25.