|| This article needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2008) </td>
The Python programming language is actively used by many people, both in industry and academia for a wide variety of purposes.
Integrated development environments
- Bazaar, a free distributed revision control system
- BitTorrent original client, along with several derivatives
- BuildBot, a continous integration system
- Chandler, a personal information manager including calendar, email, tasks and notes support that is currently under development
- Decibel Audio Player, an open source audio player
- Deluge, a bittorrent client for GNOME
- Emesene, an msn/wlm substitute
- Exaile, an open source audio player
- Gajim, an instant messaging client for the XMPP protocol
- GRAMPS, an open source genealogy software
- Juice, a popular podcast downloader
- Mercurial a cross-platform, distributed source management tool
- Morpheus, file-sharing client/server software operated by the company StreamCast
- MusicBrainz Picard, a cross-platform MusicBrainz tag editor
- Nicotine, a PyGTK SoulSeek client.
- Pitivi a video editor
- Portage, the heart of Gentoo Linux. An advanced package management system based on the BSD-style ports system
- Quake Army Knife, an environment for developing 3D maps for games based on the Quake engine
- Resolver One, a spreadsheet
- SAGE (sagemath) combines more than 20 main opensource math packages and provides easy to use web interface with the help of python
- SCons, a tool for building software
- Yum, a package management utility for RPM-compatible Linux operating systems.
- Calibre, an ebooks management software.
- GNU Mailman, one of the more popular packages for running email mailing lists
- MoinMoin, a popular wiki engine
- Planet, a feed aggregator
- Plone, a user-friendly and powerful open source Content Management System
- Roundup, a bug tracking system
- ViewVC, a web-based interface for browsing CVS and SVN repositories
- Trac, web-based bug/issue tracking database, wiki, and version control front-end
- Projectplace, Europe’s Leading Online Service for Project Collaboration
- CherryPy, an object-oriented web application server and framework
- Django, an MVC (model, view, controller) web framework
- Porcupine (wep application server), an object-oriented web application server and framework
- Pylons, Pylons is a lightweight web framework emphasizing flexibility and rapid development
- Quixote a framework for developing Web applications in Python
- Topsite Templating System, another Python-powered web framework
- TurboGears, a web framework combining CherryPy, SQLObject, and Kid
- web2py, a full-stack enterprise web application framework, following the MVC design.
- Zope, an application server, commonly used to build content management systems
- PyGTK, a popular cross-platform GUI library based on GTK+; furthermore, other GNOME libraries also have bindings for Python
- PyQt, another cross-platform GUI library based on Qt; as above, KDE libraries have bindings too
- wxPython, a port of wxWidgets and a cross-platform GUI library for Python
- BioPython, a Python molecular biology suite.
- SciPy, a library of scientific and numerical routines
- SimPy, a discrete-event simulation package;
- stsci python, a library library of Python routines and C extensions that has been developed to provide a general astronomical data analysis infrastructure, developed by STSCI
- matplotlib, an extension providing MATLAB-like plotting and mathematical functions
- NumPy, a language extension that adds support for large and fast, multi-dimensional arrays and matrices
Additional development packages
- Cheetah, a Python-powered template engine and code-generation tool
- Jinja, a Python-powered template engine, inspired by Django's template engine.
- IPython, a powerful development shell both written in and designed for Python
- mod_python, an Apache module allowing direct integration of Python scripts with the Apache web server
- PyObjC, a Python-Objective C bridge that allows one to write Mac OS X software in Python
- Twisted, a networking framework for Python
Embedded as a scripting language
Python is, or can be used as, the scripting language in these software products.
- ArcGIS, a prominent GIS platform, allows extensive modelling using Python
- Android Scripting Environment, allows Android mobile phone users to read gps/sensor data, script phone calls and text messages, for rapid development.
- Corel Paint Shop Pro
- EventGhost An Open source home automation application for Windows with support for X10
- EventScripts - plugin for Valve's Source engine
- GNAT The GNAT programming chain tool (Ada language implantation in GNU gcc), as a GNATcoll reusable components for the applications (with or without PyGTK) and as a scripting langage for the commands in the GPS programming environment
- Maya, Versions 8.5 and newer only.
- Poser, a 3D rendering and animation software program, that uses for scripting a special dialect of Python, called PoserPython.
- PyMOL, a popular molecular viewer that embeds Python for scripting and integration
- QGIS uses python for scripting and plugin-development
- SPSS statistical software SPSS Programmability Extension allows users to extend the SPSS command syntax language with Python.
- WeeChat IRC client
- CCP hf uses Stackless Python in both its server and client side applications for its MMO Eve Online.
- Ciranova uses Python extensively to layout semiconductors at the transistor level.
- Google uses Python for many tasks including the backends of web apps such as Google Groups, Gmail, and Google Maps, as well as for some of its search-engine internals.
- Maya, professional 3D modeler allows Python scripting as an alternative to MEL as of version 8.5
- NASA is using Python to implement a CAD/CAE/PDM repository and model management, integration, and transformation system which will be the core infrastructure for its next-generation collaborative engineering environment.
- Piensa Technologies uses Python extensively to develop enterprise mission critical web enabled applications, like: WMS, VMI, ERP, CRM
- Reddit was originally written in Common Lisp, but was rewritten in Python in 2005.
- Youtube uses Python "to produce maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of developers".
- Yahoogroups uses Python "to maintain its discussion groups"
Template:Python (programming language)ru:Использование Python