From Seo Wiki - Search Engine Optimization and Programming Languages
|This article needs references that appear in reliable third-party publications. Primary sources or sources affiliated with the subject are generally not sufficient for a Wikipedia article. Please add more appropriate citations from reliable sources. (December 2008)|
|Usual file extensions||.pvx, pvc, .pvk, .pvt|
|Designed by||Michael F. King|
|Developer||Sage Software Canada|
|Stable release||8.20 (August 11, 2008)|
|Influenced by||Business Basic|
|OS||Windows / Unix / Linux|
ProvideX is a computer language and development environment derived from Business Basic (a business oriented derivative of BASIC) in the mid-1980s.
ProvideX is available on several operating systems (Unix/Linux/Windows/Mac OS X) and includes not only the programming language but also file system, presentation layer interface, and other components. The language is primarily designed for use in the development of business applications. There are numerous companies using the technology as the basis for their application in markets such as distribution, property management, health care, transportation, etc. While primarily used in North America, there are developers around the world which use ProvideX.
Over the years since its inception and as the computer industry has changed, ProvideX has added functionality such as a graphical interface, client-server capabilities, access to external databases, web services, and, more recently, object oriented programming capabilities. The language has generally maintained compatibility with its roots; thus applications developed in ProvideX have been able to remain current even though the world of technology has changed.
! This example code shows some ways to do the traditional hello world. ! begin print 'CS', ! Clear Screen ! Plain Text print "Hello World!" ! Fonted Text (Error branch moves to next line if fonted text not available) print (0,err=*next)'Font'("Arial,-16,B"), ! Use Bold 16pt Arial Font print (0,err=*next)'Text'(@x(20),@y(2),"Hello World"), ! Move to the 2nd to last line on screen print @(3,mxl(0)-2),"Press Enter: ", input a$ ! Message Box msgbox "Hello World"+sep+sep+"This is a test message box.","Message Box" end
- ProvideX is pronounced as "pro-VIDE-ex".
- ProvideX is a registered trademark of Sage Software Canada Ltd. a Subsidiary of Sage Software, Inc.
- "Company Overview". Sage Software Canada. http://www.pvx.com/company/#comp-overview. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- "Company Facts". Sage Software Canada. http://www.pvx.com/company/#comp-facts. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
- "ProvideX/PVX Plus History". Mike King. http://www.pvxplus.com/pgsrvr.pvp?pg=history. Retrieved 2008-10-25.
There are several websites available dedicated to ProvideX:
- Sage Software Canada — Makers of ProvideX
- PVX Plus Technologies — Reseller and extension to the language from the original developer, Mike King.
- ProvideX Wiki — An independent documentation effort
- All Basic Community